• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Post Noob questions here

Tried it again. This time I FOLLOWED the directions. IT Worked. Thanks again!! I was reading a little about custom roms and as I understood, if I do a custom rom, it will actually root the phone for me and install CWM. Any thoughts?

Glad you got it working.

Speaking of reading directions...reread what I typed a few post ago. Roms don't root or install cwm. Just read the directions I gave you and you'll be fine

Upvote 0
Another noob question: What is a nightly?

A nightly is a rom that is worked on - and available for download - frequently, if not every night. These roms may have bugs in them, so some may prefer to use official releases, since these have a lot of the known bugs ironed out.

Reactions: PrinceCorwin
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I have a question about micro sd cards. I'm trying to figure out why my phone suddenly started a bootloop. I have a LG spectrum and I'm running CM 10.1 nightlies. It has been working great until I put in a sd card that I believe was damaged or corrupted. I didn't know it was damaged at the time. Anyways, I put the card in and downloaded a file for another phone and then took it out and put the original one back in. Is there anyway that would cause a bootloop? I rebooted it with the original card back in and it went through thr LG screen, then started the CM screen (spinning blue circle) then after about a minute, it stops and doesnt boot up. I'm lost. Please help.

I should add that I can't use the Lg firmware flash that I used before because I put Linux on that computer and I dont think it will work with Ubuntu because the LG drivers are for windows. I have tried on three different laptops and no go.

Upvote 0
This may be a silly question, but I can't find the debugging checkbox in my settings after installing CM10.1. There is no Developer's options section. When I try to use Titanium backup, it directs me to turn it on, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

/settings/about phone and tap on build number 7-8 times.:)

Upvote 0
How do I enable HTML code in my posts?

PrinceCorwin,

See the angle bracket icon in the toolbar when you are in the new post or edit post mode (if you mouse-over it it says "Wrap
HTML:
 tags around selected text"). Select your text that you'd like to use HTML for and then use the HTML tool (angle brackets). 

I [I]think [/I]that will do what you have in mind (haven't use it before so I'm not 100% sure).

Also see this related post in our AF FAQ: [URL="http://androidforums.com/faqs/511679-android-forums-faq.html#post5743779"]http://androidforums.com/faqs/511679-android-forums-faq.html#post5743779[/URL]

Cheers and I hope that helps!

:)

Upvote 0
Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0
Every time I turn off my phone, the shutdown animation "Verizon 4g LTE" is on the screen for like 10-15 seconds before shutting down. Is this normal. Sorry for dumb question.

I'm guessing it's totally normal...I don't have a Spectrum, but I can tell you that Android is doing lots and lots of stuff when you tell it to shut down:

- notifies all the processes that a shut down is in-progress
- asks the ActivityManager server to shut itself down
- tells the Bluetooth server to disable itself
- turns off the radios
- unmounts all of the filesystems
- wiggles the phone with a vibration :)p)
- invoke the Power.shutdown() function to complete the shutdown​

The above information is courtesy of Shutdown sequence of Android | Koba's blog.

Also, a quick note for any rooted device readers here--I would highly recommend still using the normal power down sequence on your device vs. a quick shutdown that's available via many rooted apps (including my own) and/or your custom ROM. The reason for this is that you get a clean shutdown with the above sequence that Android uses, especially for unmounting all of your filesystems (a good idea).

You asked that and received an answer in your other thread in the root forum - http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...cking-cab-new-spectrum-owner.html#post5936441

Always time and room for another answer / perspective, eh? No harm in asking a second time :).

Cheers!

Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0
Here's some questions Ive never asked but is confusing me. I am not rooted and running completely stock (v8):
1) What's the difference between disabling apps in the settings and freezing apps with root apps like titanium backup? Also, what apps/programs are safe to disable/ freeze in stock ICS for best performance?

2) When I completely drained the battery and plugged it in for charging, the capacitive buttons started flashing and phone wouldn't take a charge. I unplugged the phone, took out battery, replaced battery, and replugged but capacitive buttons were still flashing and phone wouldn't charge. I pressed the power button a few times and it was finally charging. I'm not using the stock charger and maybe that's my problem. I checked this thread ...
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=514063
... and will be using it as a reference if it still continues. My question is if this has has ever happened to you guys, and if it did, what did you do to fix it.

3) Does nova launcher run smoothly on your spectrum? Some people in the forums have lag while some say it runs smoothly. I experience lag on the desktop of Nova launcher.

4) Does the YouTube app lag when watching a video and scrolling through related videos and comments? Mine does and it's kinda bugging me.

That's all I have (for now). Sorry for this lengthy post.

Upvote 0
Here's some questions Ive never asked but is confusing me. I am not rooted and running completely stock (v8):
1) What's the difference between disabling apps in the settings and freezing apps with root apps like titanium backup? Also, what apps/programs are safe to disable/ freeze in stock ICS for best performance?

2) When I completely drained the battery and plugged it in for charging, the capacitive buttons started flashing and phone wouldn't take a charge. I unplugged the phone, took out battery, replaced battery, and replugged but capacitive buttons were still flashing and phone wouldn't charge. I pressed the power button a few times and it was finally charging. I'm not using the stock charger and maybe that's my problem. I checked this thread ...
Spectrum won't turn on or charge...help! - Android Forums
... and will be using it as a reference if it still continues. My question is if this has has ever happened to you guys, and if it did, what did you do to fix it.

3) Does nova launcher run smoothly on your spectrum? Some people in the forums have lag while some say it runs smoothly. I experience lag on the desktop of Nova launcher.

4) Does the YouTube app lag when watching a video and scrolling through related videos and comments? Mine does and it's kinda bugging me.

That's all I have (for now). Sorry for this lengthy post.

1) If you freeze an app via the stock disable method vs titanium or any other root app...i dont think there is any real difference.

2)there was some other thread that gave instructions on how to fix this...This has happened to me before when the batt drained all the way. Follow the instructions in post #4 and you should be good!
http://androidforums.com/lg-spectrum/603400-phone-does-not-turn.html

I cant comment on Nova launcher, I used SS Launcher as its really customizable and doesnt use much memory, and is the smoothest launcher in my opinion.(Sorry IMU lol).

Upvote 0
1) What's the difference between disabling apps in the settings and freezing apps with root apps like titanium backup?
Don't think there is a difference, there are a few that don't give the option to disable in the settings but that are safe to disable thru TB.

Also, what apps/programs are safe to disable/ freeze in stock ICS for best performance?
There's a whole thread about this. http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=632345

2) When I completely drained the battery and plugged it in for charging, the capacitive buttons started flashing and phone wouldn't take a charge. I pressed the power button a few times and it was finally charging. I'm not using the stock charger and maybe that's my problem.
This is a known issue on all ROMs, it doesn't like to charge while off and tends to have issues with non-stock chargers. If the battery completely drains, plug it in for a few minutes just to get enough charge to turn it on before charging it the rest of the way, and yeah, you may have to pull the battery. Another trick is to press and hold power button for 15-20 seconds, usually works instead of having to pull battery. Best idea is to never let the battery drain all the way and leave it on when charging ;-)

3 ) Does nova launcher run smoothly on your spectrum? Some people in the forums have lag while some say it runs smoothly. I experience lag on the desktop of Nova launcher.
I prefer Nova, have never had a problem with it, guessing the lag is because you're on stock, have you tried a different launcher to make sure it's not just Nova?

4 ) Does the YouTube app lag when watching a video and scrolling through related videos and comments? Mine does and it's kinda bugging me.
I'm not a big YouTube user, usually just uninstall the app and use the browser for the few times I need it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying guys. I don't have the original spectrum charger cuz I bought my phone used from someone. Can someone tell me the output power (in mA) of the spectrum charger so I can find one like it. I have an LG sync cables from my old LG voyages, so I just need to find an adapter with the same output. Thanks.

1Ah (1000mAh) is the output of all my chargers and they work nicely.

Side note on ROMs: just used a 4.2.2 ROM all day. Battery Drain was double compared to the Quattrimus 4.1.2 ROMs. YMMV though as there was 3-4 different hardware revisions for this device and all 4 act differently on these custom ROMs. (Mine is rev 1.3 ZV7 came stock from the box on it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones