• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Post-Root Phone No Boot

So I rooted successfully a few days ago. I have been trying to install a few custom kernels to alleviate WiFi issues I am having. But now I am in an even bigger hole.

At the end of last night, the kernel I installed kept me at the "HTC Incredible" screen. I did a hard reset, pulled the battery, booted into recovery, and did my full NANDROID backup. Everything seemed to be OK. Now, this morning I wake up and the phone does not turn on. Not at all. There is no back light when the phone is turned on and I am just sitting at a black screen. I have tested this with two chargers and two batteries.

WHAT IS GOING ON? And is there anything I can do. ......is this a brick?

Does the charge light turn on when you plug it in?

No. I'm afraid this is a bad sign.

What kernel did you flash and what rom are you running?
I flashed two different kernels. Both running stock HTC Sense ROM

1. I flashed incredikernal 2.6.32, compatible with Sense, then restored
2. Later flashed P3Droid 1000 *standard voltage*, then restored

And did you restore a backup or create one?
Full restore through Clockwork Recovery. Everything seemed to run OK

Can you pull the battery, put back in, hold volume DOWN, continue to hold and press and hold the power button till the phone turns on?
No, can not get into HBOOT menu

I think I'm screwed... The fact that it does not turn on at all scared me. Give me the news - good or bad.

Upvote 0
so are you 100% sure the batteries you tried are charged?

also... by "black screen"... do you mean it wont power on at all,or you turn it on and you have a screen on,but its black. do the softkey lights work?

for what its worth,i dont believe you bricked it. you may have had a coincidental harware failure of some sort, but it doesnt sound like it was something that you did. the fact that it restored fine and ran fine for a few days seems like a hardware issue... unless you flashed something,or did something prior that youve forgotten to mention.

last question... do you have any knowledge of adb? per chance have it set up and running on your computer so you can plug in your phone and see if adb sees it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response - any sign of light at this point is nice :p

I am 100% it's not the battery. I tested a working current with a multimeter.

By black screen, I mean the screen does not turn on at all. The front orange/green light does not come on. The softkey lights do not come on. It is my belief that the phone is not simply powered on with a black-colored screen.

I have been reading up on adb and am installing the Android SDK as we speak. Although I am skeptical that since the device does not turn on, it will be recognized - it is worth a shot. If it does recognize the device, maybe there is some hope. Do you have any advice/tips on how to quickly get set up with adb and check for the device?

This phone is a 3-day old refurb. It is entirely possible that it is a hardware issue. In fact, that's what I plan on telling them if I RMA. If it does not boot, is there any way they will be able to tell I rooted? Backed up to stock Sense ROM/Kernel, never touched radio, and S-OFF is still active as far as I know.

Upvote 0
it is still worth a shot to plug it in and see if adb sees it,but i do not believe it will. i was hoping that you had a "black screen"(indicating the phone was at least powered on) and not an off,unpowered screen. :(

i used this video when i set up ADB:
YouTube - ‪ANDROID SDK Tools (How-To Install)‬‏

if you do have to send it back,there is no way they can tell. they will immediately try and push softwaRE to it when it wont turn on,and if it still wont,i assume they will open it up and check for damged hardware. so youre safe :D

Upvote 0
2. Later flashed P3Droid 1000 *standard voltage*

I am guessing the problem originated here. Doesn't sound familiar. It's odd though that you were able to nand back to stock though before the crash occurred. I'm not liking the sound of this one. Don't think ADB will work without device recognition which I'm guessing is a nay at this point.

Reactions: htcincredible2
Upvote 0
I am guessing the problem originated here. Doesn't sound familiar. It's odd though that you were able to nand back to stock though before the crash occurred. I'm not liking the sound of this one. Don't think ADB will work without device recognition which I'm guessing is a nay at this point.

yeah, I looked it up, it's a kernel for the motorola droid 1.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
I had this same exact problem. I had a refurb as well, as I'm guessing that is what bricked it. I don't think it was the kernel that caused this issue for him... Most likely just the refurb being crap.

I'm on my second one, hoping it doesn't happen again. I was also worried about the whoel Verizon checking root, but I haven't heard from them yet. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones