• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post the latest Note 20 rumors here

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    So... I guess Samsung got tired of counting up Galaxy S and Note devices, got to "10" and called it quits?

Looks like the long-awaited "Galaxy S11" isn't going to happen - I don't know if Samsung is pairing the model phone with the year now, or if they've decided to count in increments of ten, but the "Galaxy S20" line is expected to be announced on February 11th. It's always enjoyable to watch those Unpacked events, even though I'm a Note enthusiast - because they advances say a lot about what to expect from the new Note later in the year.

That said, will there BE a Note 11? Or will Samsung shake up our numbering convention, too, and go to the Note 20? I supposed we'll find out this summer!

One thing I've heard bounced around for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty sure this year it will be ready for market, is a high-quality, under-display front camera. No more stupid hole punched in the screen! If Samsung can pull that off (and PLEASE put the fingerprint scanner where it was on the Note 9) and have a true bezel-less Infinity display, that will be a huge win for me.

What are you expecting out of the next Note?

Reactions: Ussin and MrJavi
    The loss of the notch has to be in the future. Nobody likes a hole in their screen... no matter where it's at. How soon in the future is the question. I'd like to think the tech would be a feature on the S20 but it would be near impossible to keep that feature under wraps until the release. I'm expecting improved cameras and biometrics.

Reactions: MrJavi
    Upvote 0
    They probably reckon the flippy camera is more breakable or incompatible with a high IP rating. And whether the breakability is true or not, they may worry that if customers worry about it it may put them off (which is less of an issue with a midranger than an extremely expensive flagship).

As I have no use for a selfie camera at all I can't wait for it to become invisible (and don't care if doing so degrades the quality as I'll never notice ;)).

Reactions: MrJavi and mikedt
    Upvote 0
    I love the little flip-up camera module on the Samsung A80! Why they think the "Infinity-O" display is better (and more desirable for consumers) than a truly bezel-less screen with no hole in it is beyond me.

Not only is it a flip-up module, there's a rotating element as well, in that the cameras rotate 180 deg front or back. Oppo did a phone with a motorised rotating camera, the N1,and that had reported problems with it getting stuck and not returning fully to the home positions. And this phone was discontinued within a few months. I guess Samsung seeked to avoid that possible issue with their flagship phones,

Last edited:
    Reactions: MrJavi
    Upvote 0
    Related to our topic:

Galaxy Fold 2

Rumors suggest that Samsung may add an S Pen to the Fold 2, effectively merging its foldable line with the Note line - both top-tier flagship models. They may do that... or they may (as I suggested to Samsung) launch a separate, external S Pen that could be used with any of the Galaxy flagship devices. S Pen functions could be written into the Galaxy firmware and turned on as easily as flipping a switch in Settings.

As an alternative theory, I have long speculated that the Galaxy S line would end up featuring a "Note" model with S Pen, as its top-of-the-line device. Next year's Galaxy S30, for example, would also launch with the S30 Plus, S30 Ultra and S30 Note. This would clear the calendar in the late summer/early autumn for Samsung's high-end foldable device, with plenty of time to market it, and put the S30 line, on sale for the holidays. That would also clear out inventory to make way for the incoming S40 line.

What do you think?

:)

Reactions: J_Hansen
    Upvote 0
    I have silicone cases for my Note 10+ and there are two separate cutouts for the camera module: one fore the lenses, and one for the LED, heart rate and ToF sensors. There may be cases with one huge cutout for everything, but I haven't seen it. That said, it's way too early for any final Note 20 design to be sent out to case manufacturers: I wouldn't expect that until the end of June.

Upvote 0
    The loss of the notch has to be in the future. Nobody likes a hole in their screen... no matter where it's at. How soon in the future is the question. I'd like to think the tech would be a feature on the S20 but it would be near impossible to keep that feature under wraps until the release. I'm expecting improved cameras and biometrics.
    I love how they added a punch hole of the note 10/10+ its wuite appealing

Upvote 0
    I hope that was sarcastic, @Cyberdev because I think drilling a stupid hole in that gorgeous screen is the worst part of the phone. VERY distracting! Come on, Samsung, people are buying your phones with the Infinity-O display because it's their only choice... not because they want a hole in the screen! If Samsung were to offer the Note 20 in two versions, an Infinity-O version and a Note 9-like version with a top bezel for the camera/sensors, my bet is that the latter would outsell the former five to one.

Upvote 0
    I tell ya... Ice Universe tweets out a drawing of a potential case for the Note 20 and the tech world goes berserk! What on earth makes anyone believe that case design is a thing this early, when the phone is still in development stage and not even prototyped???

We can look back in Note history to see that design/development go until May, when the executive team looks over the prospective designs and approves a final design no later than the end of June. Then the design is sent out to case manufacturers, so they can start on their products while Samsung is in production during July and August. The phone is announced at the August Unpacked event, pre-orders begin and units are shipped out in time for Launch Day.

EDIT: I'm seeing reports (read that "rumors") that Samsung will release the true successor to the Galaxy Fold in Q2 this year - with an 8" screen and S Pen! I have been telling Samsung for how long? to give a screen like that S Pen functionality... maybe they're finally listening to the ol' Chief! Will the Note series evolve into the Fold? Or will Samsung listen to me again and offer the S Pen as an external accessory for use with any of the Galaxy flagships... with S Pen functions just a setting away?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Did you see today's Unpacked Event for the Galaxy S20? It bodes very well for the Galaxy Note 20 later this year! 5G on every model, crazy storage, insane cameras with 8K video recording and AI photo shooting with ALL cameras at once! We can just pick the best shots afterward! Lots of crazy cool stuff... if you missed it, here it is:

SAMSUNG UNPACKED FEBRUARY 2020

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Am I the only one posting in this thread now? This is 7 posts in a row for me!

At any rate, it's sad to hear that coronavirus (which has had Chinese manufacturing shut down for a month) has now started spreading in South Korea: in fact, one US servicemember there has tested positive for it. While the human element will always be the predominant concern, there's a real possibility that the Note 20 will not go into production as scheduled. If it was slated for a July release, manufacturing would have to start in mid-May. That tells me that the design and prototyping phase should be in full swing, with a final design approval at the end of April. With a coronavirus outbreak threatening the nation, though, the phone could be delayed until closer to the Christmas holidays.

What are your thoughts about this?

Reactions: notableuser
    Upvote 0
    The way Samsung has started to price the top end devices now I'll need until Xmas to save up for it anyway
    precisely until a proven camera without false hype.
    create a PIXEL killer and samsung will rule the kingdom.
    hint,,,,,,,,,,,returned my ULTRA.

Am I the only one posting in this thread now? This is 7 posts in a row for me!

At any rate, it's sad to hear that coronavirus (which has had Chinese manufacturing shut down for a month) has now started spreading in South Korea: in fact, one US servicemember there has tested positive for it. While the human element will always be the predominant concern, there's a real possibility that the Note 20 will not go into production as scheduled. If it was slated for a July release, manufacturing would have to start in mid-May. That tells me that the design and prototyping phase should be in full swing, with a final design approval at the end of April. With a coronavirus outbreak threatening the nation, though, the phone could be delayed until closer to the Christmas holidays.

What are your thoughts about this?
    YOU'RE THE BEST.

Reactions: J_Hansen
    Upvote 0
    YOU'RE THE BEST.

I know, thanks. It's tough being me some days... but somebody's gotta do it

:D

BTW new rumors have been bandied about since I last popped in here...

#1 - Under-display-camera may very well be perfected in time for the Note 20!

#2 - A new display PIFF technology was patented by Samsung. Sounds interesting...

#3 - New designs out there from patent documents show a foldable device with an S Pen! I've told Samsung, in their Members app, that they need to find a way to merge the Note and Fold devices for a KILLER phone. Of course, the Fold wouldn't work on Verizon because it was GSM only: so that would have to change as well.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones