• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your Android Desktop

Courtesy of Circular Glow theme by Classical Gas

snap20101116_153723.png
snap20101116_152252.png

snap20101116_152258.png
snap20101116_152303.png

snap20101116_152315.png
snap20101116_153438.png

Upvote 0
Okay, so I found LauncherPro but I have not a clue how to get it on my phone. Do I need SDK to put LauncherPro on my phone? HELP

You can download/install it from the Android market but if you have a apk file just drop it onto your sd card and navigate to it (using root explorer or astro or some file system program) and click it to install. When I feel lazy I will email myself apk files from my desktop to my gmail bc u can direct install it from the email msg on your phone also. Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
@ mykela25 - So if I were to download the LauncherPro on to my desktop PC, and then hook my phone up to the PC and drag and drop the app onto my phone will it automatically find it for me or where exactly do I find it on the phone?

I use Astro file explorer. (Its free in the Market) If u download the LP apk file to your computer u can hook your phone up (change connection type to disk drive so the folder shows on your pc) and then drop the apk file onto your sd card on the phone. Then on your phn using Astro, go to your sd card where u dropped the file and click to install. OR u can just email the apk file to yourself, open your email on your phone and it will show the file as an attachment, click it and it will ask if u want to install it. Thats what I do when I dont feel like hooking my phone up. But you do realize u can get LP in the Market also right? Theres no need to go thru all that unless the apk file u have is for LP Plus (which is the purchasable version)

Upvote 0
It's not that I don't know I can get it in the market. I just rather do it all on the PC because this way I am avoiding using data... Unfortunately right now we have the $15 data plan on my phone. So I am trying to use as little of the data usage as possible. So I was wanting to know how to do this all by just hooking phone to PC bit.

I know I am probably doing it the long and hard way, but if it avoids me using data usage, I wanted to learn how to do it this way instead. If that makes sense?

Upvote 0
I just rather do it all on the PC because this way I am avoiding using data... Unfortunately right now we have the $15 data plan on my phone. So I am trying to use as little of the data usage as possible.

Just in my opinion... you're kind of short changing the capabilities of the phone by using a limited data plan. The phone is able to do so much, I feel it's definitely worth the extra $15 for the unlimited data plan.

The more you use it, the more you'll realize how much easier it will be if you don't have to count megabytes.

If it's about the extra money, get rid of your text messaging plan (I'm sure you have one... everyone does) and just use Google Voice. You can text message with that for free.

Upvote 0
It's not that I don't know I can get it in the market. I just rather do it all on the PC because this way I am avoiding using data... Unfortunately right now we have the $15 data plan on my phone. So I am trying to use as little of the data usage as possible. So I was wanting to know how to do this all by just hooking phone to PC bit.

I know I am probably doing it the long and hard way, but if it avoids me using data usage, I wanted to learn how to do it this way instead. If that makes sense?

Thats perfectly understandable. But I will tell u from experience, u may want to go ahead and pay that extra 15.00 for the unlimited data. It makes all the difference in the world. My phone is always in my hand doing something. I even sleep with it. I swear I mod in my sleep bc I wake up with icons and pages I dont remember doing :D

Oh, and the pc way isnt hard. Its not like u have to push it to sync or anything. I usually get a few files that I want and then drop them all in at one time. Its pretty easy doing it either way.

Upvote 0
Thats perfectly understandable. But I will tell u from experience, u may want to go ahead and pay that extra 15.00 for the unlimited data. It makes all the difference in the world. My phone is always in my hand doing something. I even sleep with it. I swear I mod in my sleep bc I wake up with icons and pages I dont remember doing :D

Oh, and the pc way isnt hard. Its not like u have to push it to sync or anything. I usually get a few files that I want and then drop them all in at one time. Its pretty easy doing it either way.

The steps given here on this post: http://androidforums.com/android-themes/219795-taking-screen-shot.html

I am trying to follow them steps given because I want to be able to post my screen and what not of my phone. Have it be the "first thing" I've ever done with my phone and etc. However, I can't seem to get the DDMS thing to open, it opens and then closes within a split second. I don't understand?

Upvote 0
The steps given here on this post: http://androidforums.com/android-themes/219795-taking-screen-shot.html

I am trying to follow them steps given because I want to be able to post my screen and what not of my phone. Have it be the "first thing" I've ever done with my phone and etc. However, I can't seem to get the DDMS thing to open, it opens and then closes within a split second. I don't understand?

I actually wud have said the same thing, that debugging wasnt checked but since thats been covered, Im not sure what the issue is, sweets. When I saw the instructions on taking screenshots from a pc I immediately got a headache and figured it wud just be easier to root my phone and use a app like drocap2 or shootme to take screenshots. And imo, it is. But I know u dont want to root so Im not sure. I'll check around and see if I can find anything though.

P.S. Did u also install JDK?

Upvote 0
I actually wud have said the same thing, that debugging wasnt checked but since thats been covered, Im not sure what the issue is, sweets. When I saw the instructions on taking screenshots from a pc I immediately got a headache and figured it wud just be easier to root my phone and use a app like drocap2 or shootme to take screenshots. And imo, it is. But I know u dont want to root so Im not sure. I'll check around and see if I can find anything though.

P.S. Did u also install JDK?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I tried to find the JDK but I got really confused as to what to download, plus the link given to me doesn't seem to want to load? The java.sun.com site doesn't load where the file you need to download is. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I tried to find the JDK but I got really confused as to what to download, plus the link given to me doesn't seem to want to load? The java.sun.com site doesn't load where the file you need to download is. Any help with that would be appreciated.

device.png

Ok, I just did this myself to make sure that it worked and it does! Yay!

Once the SDK is unzipped on your pc, make sure u download JDK. Don’t be confused by the number of different files that are available to download on that page – the one you’ll need is Java SE Development Kit (JDK). I am on Windows 7 and the file I used is this one (I attached it for you) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15158613/jdk-6u22-javafx-1_3_1-windows-i586.exe ...after that plug in your Android Phone, if it isn’t already.

Locate the folder you unzipped the Android SDK in, open the Tools folder and double-click ddms.bat (it might be titled just ddms if you don’t show extensions) ***IF YOURE ON WINDOWS 7 U HAVE TO RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR*** Thats where this issue is. Once u do that the black cmd screen pops up DONT CLOSE IT, then sdk will load. Make sure your device is listed in the upper-left window, and select it by clicking on it once.

To take a screenshot, select Device > Screen capture

The Device Screen Capture window will open, and display whatever is being displayed on your Android phone.
If your display turned off or the wrong screen is being displayed for the screenshot just navigate to the screen you want to capture (on your phone) then click the Refresh button at the top of the screenshot page (in SDK). Just click save and select where u want to save it. (I chose desktop) and then click done!

Lemme know if it works for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones