• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your Homescreens

This is a picture of my 86 El Camino. When you scroll from one side to another you can see different parts of the picture.
Screenshot_2012_12_18_20_01_48.png

Upvote 0
Here's the homescreen, an exercise in true minimalism:

Rl48l.png

There's a clock in the status bar, so no need for a widget. If I need the date, I can just tug down the notification shade a bit (if it's on the lockscreen, the date is right there). I figure I don't need to see the weather every time I look at my phone; if I need to see the weather, I can open AccuWeather. The only extraneous feature is that Nexus "X". Aside from giving a bit of visual interest, tapping it opens Google Voice Search. It's actually a transparent icon set over a wallpaper, but one could just as easily make an icon over black wallpaper.

So, how do I open my apps, you ask? Well, I'm glad you asked. Remember that launcher functionality everybody likes in Ubuntu? You might want to try the app "ReLaunch Launcher". All I have to do is hold my thumb/finger against the edge of the screen for half a second, and up pops...

GxjTs.png

(You can adjust the sweet spot positioning and how long you have to hold before it pops up.) After it pops up, you just drag your thumb/finger to a category, then an app icon.

The best bit about that app is that it's running all the time, so I can access every app in my phone even if I'm running an app already (look in the background) without going back to the homescreen:

KAI0g.png

ReLaunch is running alongside Apex, wherein I have it set to hide the dock.

Note that ReLaunch auto-categorizes your apps every time you add one. Every app you have will be in the launcher (no app drawer), so if you have a crapload of apps you might want to pass on this launcher. There's currently no functionality to add/remove/alter categories or to delete apps from the list entirely; I put all my un/barely used apps in the final category, "Lost". You can alter the color of the icons and text, and you can also manually recategorize your apps.

One more note: using this launcher you are stuck with the default icons, theme icons won't apply. Also you have to remember if you're in the habit of clearing your recent apps list out, make sure you leave ReLaunch in the list. If you swipe it away it will, after a minute, clear it from memory and then you can't launch anything without reenabling the dock to get to the app drawer and restart ReLaunch.

Reactions: AnotherFatalEpic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones