• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

I need to get my eyes checked and get new glasses. I want to get cheap ugly glasses so I can get two pair,:D :thumbsupdroid: my wife wants me to spend the money to get a decent pair I will look good in :rolleyes: I keep telling her that looking good and being fashionable are the least of my concerns
I was way beyond my yearly checkup by years:) I've never had insurance to cover glasses and now on medicare there is no help either. It's not that I can't afford to get new glasses when I should... it just doesn't seem that necessary. Having seen my past two optometrists grow up and retire, I took my business to a new group. After my exam I was given a card with my eye prescription.
A second pair, perhaps for dress, can be had online on the cheap. I'm not stylin at my age but a second pair dirt cheap will be something I'll be checking out. Perhaps something similar will work well for you.

Upvote 0
I'm not stylin at my age but a second pair dirt cheap will be something I'll be checking out.

You get what you pay for and you pay for not paying for it. I wanted a pair to keep in the car for night driving -- i already have prescription shades for daytime. So, i ordered a pair on the cheap. I think I payed around $80 when all was said and done. The lenses were okay, but if I wanted all the best features, it would have tacked on another $60 to $100. The frames were garbage. They broke after about 3 months and the online store's "warranty" was to offer me a $20 coupon on my next pair. And, to this day, they spam me regularly with offers, coupons and reminders.

I won't mention the company because all online discount glasses stores probably operate the same way.

Upvote 0
You get what you pay for and you pay for not paying for it. I wanted a pair to keep in the car for night driving -- i already have prescription shades for daytime. So, i ordered a pair on the cheap. I think I payed around $80 when all was said and done. The lenses were okay, but if I wanted all the best features, it would have tacked on another $60 to $100. The frames were garbage. They broke after about 3 months and the online store's "warranty" was to offer me a $20 coupon on my next pair. And, to this day, they spam me regularly with offers, coupons and reminders.

I won't mention the company because all online discount glasses stores probably operate the same way.

This is good information and I appreciate you sharing your experience. My brother-in-law was my only input on buying online.
He was very happy with his shopping results with multiple purchases. I now see there is another side of the coin. I will proceed with caution.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've never had insurance to cover glasses and now on medicare there is no help either.
Do you have a Medicare Advantage Plan? You know I've been on Medicare for years due to disability, so I've had lots of time to navigate all of its possibilities.

My current Advantage Plan is through Humana--and it covers my ophthalmologist visits, and I'm as sure as I can be it pays something for glasses. (I'm long overdue on a new prescription because, well, I was busy doing other things.)

If you don't have an Advantage plan, I highly...wait...HIGHLY recommend getting one. Most are free, and they cap your yearly out-of-pocket payments at just a few thousand dollars. For reasons too long to explain here, prior to getting sick I had dropped to just original Medicare. Which pays 80% of hospital bills. Do the math on 20% for six months in the hospital...including a week in the ICU and seven operations. :eek: That's why I highly recommend an Advantage plan!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Both Joy Noelle and Big Brian needed new Home Again [microchip company] tags. They came yesterday. I challenge you to guess who's whose! :D

new_tags.jpg

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Do you have a Medicare Advantage Plan? You know I've been on Medicare for years due to disability, so I've had lots of time to navigate all of its possibilities.

My current Advantage Plan is through Humana--and it covers my ophthalmologist visits, and I'm as sure as I can be it pays something for glasses. (I'm long overdue on a new prescription because, well, I was busy doing other things.)

If you don't have an Advantage plan, I highly...wait...HIGHLY recommend getting one. Most are free, and they cap your yearly out-of-pocket payments at just a few thousand dollars. For reasons too long to explain here, prior to getting sick I had dropped to just original Medicare. Which pays 80% of hospital bills. Do the math on 20% for six months in the hospital...including a week in the ICU and seven operations. :eek: That's why I highly recommend an Advantage plan!

I am one of the fortunate few that has never been sick in my life. I went years without insurance on myself and it proved to be a great gamble. Years are weighing against my great health run now and I got on medicare as soon as I was eligible. I haven't any supplements in place and have never looked at the Advantage Plan. I have decided that I'll add a supplement plan next fall during open enrollment. I'll be 68 then.

Upvote 0
I haven't any supplements in place and have never looked at the Advantage Plan. I have decided that I'll add a supplement plan next fall during open enrollment
No, no, no, no! :eek:

I'm assuming--and you know what they say about that!--that you think 'supplement' and 'advantage' plans are synonymous. They're not--and choosing the wrong one can cost you hundreds, even thousands, a month.

Please clarify if you do indeed mean 'supplement' plan.

Upvote 0
No, no, no, no! :eek:

I'm assuming--and you know what they say about that!--that you think 'supplement' and 'advantage' plans are synonymous. They're not--and choosing the wrong one can cost you hundreds, even thousands, a month.

Please clarify if you do indeed mean 'supplement' plan.
I was talking about a prescription supplemental plan next fall. I've never had a prescription but foresee the possible use at some point. I understand your Advantage Plan is something else and something I will R&D. Thanks for mentioning / suggesting such.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
You have to be really careful with your terminology, @olbriar, when it comes to Medicare plans. So I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the differences between supplement and advantage.

I've always heard prescription plans referred to as Prescription Drug Plans, or Medicare Part D.

I can't stress strongly enough how important an Advantage plan can be. You have nothing to lose by getting one that's free--unless you're dead-set on keeping your doctor, and s/he isn't in a plan. But you have a lot to lose should you be hospitalized without one. My 20% of that hospital stay? $100,000+ :eek:

You've been extraordinarily lucky. I can't even imagine being your age and never having an illness, or even a prescription! But, as this coronavirus pandemic has shown, anyone--young, old, healthy, sick, rich, poor, black, white--can get very ill and be hospitalized, or die, unexpectedly. I'd hate to see you stuck with huge medical bills when it's so easy to prevent.

My Humana Advantage Plan includes parts A, B, and D (medical, hospitalization, prescriptions), plus vision and dental. [The latter sucks--for me--because my dentist isn't in their plan, and I won't switch to another dentist, so I pay out of pocket; he gives me a courtesy discount which helps a little. He happens to be a fellow Armenian, but that's not how I chose him. :)]

I'm sorry if I sound preachy. It's just that I know firsthand what the financial fallout can be when hit with something serious, and only having original Medicare.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I think my frames last time where $160-$170 what gets me price wise is lenses. I get polycarbonate lenses plus I wear bi focals so that adds to the price.
I want to get two pair because of my job. I have been lucky so far that my glasses haven't broken. Generally speaking my biggest concern is I will take them off and put them down and when I go to get them I can't find them so I carefully moving around the truck till I come across them.
I have been trying to put them in the dashboard cubby hole.
As for insurance we have blue cross I am paying about $200 a weeko_O:rolleyes:, it accept nation wide:thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
I want to get two pair
Some years ago, I decided to splurge and get two new frames for my new prescription. I'd never done that before.

I also had never broken, or lost, a pair of glasses.

The first week I had them, one day at work, when I stood up to get something out of my closet, I took my glasses off. I wasn't used to them yet, and something about the way they sat on my Armenian nose was a little uncomfortable. This pair had barely-there frames, which was the look I wanted after years of having very noticeable frames. I set them down on my chair. Do I need to continue? Yep, I came back to my desks holding whatever it was from the closet...and sat on my glasses... :rolleyes:

So I had taken that pair back to be replaced--they were beyond repair. I was sitting on the living room sofa one evening, wearing the other pair and, like the first one, this too irritated my nose. So I took them off, setting them gently on a pillow beside me. Moments later, and, unfortunately, before I realized what was happening, Little Freddie [my 182-pound Great Dane] lumbered up onto the sofa to do his imitation of a lap dog [his head in Mommy's lap]...and, yep, there went that pair! :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've neither lost nor broken a pair since then...

Reactions: joe71 and olbriar
Upvote 0
I've worn glasses most of my life and bifocals for the last 40 or so. I go with the no line progressive lens that are light adaptive tinting. This will be the first pair of glasses I've purchased that aren't heavy safety glasses. I have a very defined groove in my nose where my glasses sit. I'm super excited about them being light weight. There is no threat about losing them for I can't take them off and see anything. First thing I put on and the last thing I take off in a day. I've had my glasses knocked off of my face a few times but I've never had a pair break.

I was just happy that my eyes were healthy. My father went blind with macular degeneration. My sister is now suffering the same problem. I had the fear that I was suffering the onset as well for my vision has degraded substantially since my last exam. The early onset of cataracts was my only problem and not serious enough yet to address. I'll take that by gosh.

I was a bit awe struck when I paid for my new glasses and exam. Not that I've a great recollection of my last purchase but I was thinking around the $500 mark. My new glasses... if I ever get them... ran right at $700 and they are plastic :) Perhaps that's the going price but it was higher than I was guessing.
My wife is getting new glasses as well.. in the mail someday :) Her prescription and exam was nearly $200 less than mine. She too required bifocals and opted for the progressive lens but did not buy any light tinting. I thought about complaining but I was afraid they had made a mistake on her bill lol.

Upvote 0
I used to be a lab technician at pearl vision (something like 23 years ago) most of the lenses were plastic however we did make a set with actual glass lenses it had to do with the prescription.
I've always worn glass. Being a carpenter, it is a constant battle to keep the fine sawdust removed. I had the fear that over time the wood fibers would scratch plastic lenses. My optometrist informed me that glass is still available but the wait time is like double or longer for they are now a rare breed.

Having worked in the industry, did you hear about the lab tech that got caught in the lens grinding machine and made a spectacle of himself? :)

Upvote 0
Pink Joy. No one else can buy it.
And we have a winner! :D

new_tag.jpg

Did you notice its heart shape? That was a new style. I called HomeAgain to see if they would replace the tags, but they couldn't because of how old they were. No problem, I understood, so I'll buy them. I asked her to send me exact duplicates of what I had, but then she told me about some new designs I might like. When she got to heart-shaped, I asked if it was available in pink. Yes. Done! :)

Upvote 0
Wow! That's awesome. We were wee ones back in 1969...some of us more wee than me. :D

I always liked Led Zep, plus they apparently were in my home city(Bristol) in 1969.

I'm getting my summer wardrobe together. Maybe I should order this t-shirt as well? To go with the Rolling Stones one that arrived last week.

t-shirt.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones