• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your most useful apps for Vibrant

If your talkin about an app that tracks your other apps so you don't have to go to the marketplace to track and update them, you really don't need it with this phone. I dont think so atleast. The phone alerted me with a text message about what apps needed updates.

Also, to show off the beauty of this screen you should download Earth Live Wallpaper. Its pretty much useless but its a cool live wallpaper

Me too. Dont need to load an app that does the same thing as the phone. It takes me to the app that has an upgrade and it is a done deal.

Upvote 0
Yahoo mail- I like this only because i can delete multiple emails at once . Cant do that with the regular email widget that comes with phone.

Facebook- works pretty good and so very close to the iPhone facebook app. Could be a bit better.

Phonezap- Been using this a long time and glad to see it in the Android market. It is a posting place where the world goes to post things they are doing, where they are at, pictures of their Dog or Girlfriend, Babies, what they are eating, etc.... and Fridays are the best. It is Ass Friday and even the chicks themselves post their own asses on there. It also has a built in Ringtone maker from music on your phone and it can make the ringtone from anywhere in the song you choose.

Craiglist & eBay- I use em all the time and yes ive bought things from my Phone before.

Photobucket- Uploads pictures in your photobucket

Picsay- Pretty cool app to add things on photos and add captions. Add a hat or mustache on your buddy and such.

Shazam- Awesome. Been using this for a couple years too. Tells you what song you are listening too, who sings it, you can watch the video of it, buy it, Tour info of the band, see the lyrics or follow them on facebook or twitter(which ive neber done)

Dolphin HD- Till the new Monzilla browser Fennec is available.

Handcent SMS- Very nice text messsage client and customizable.

Pandora- Pretty much a customized Radio app . Randomly plays songs it thinks you like too based on you giving a thumbs up on other songs.

Backgrounds
- Pretty cool app

Ringtone- Cool in the fact it has a ton of them to choose from. Kinda sucks that they arent loud enough imo.

Looking to get Launcher pro when it is more of a finished product.

EDIT-

I am adding ADW Launcher to the list. Customizable UI

Upvote 0
All app links are to Cyrket, which has same product view as the market, and the QR codes if you want them.

Note that there are pay apps mixed in with free apps here.

In no particular order:

GPS Status
I much prefer this over GPS Test as I feel it is a much cleaner interface (i.e. it doesn't look like it was drawn with a crayon), even to the point where I paid for it. GPS Test Plus Looks interesting, but the same issues with the interface will probably apply for me.

Google Goggles is nothing short of amazing. No, it doesn't find results 100% of the time, but it does so a high enough percentage to be useful.

Tasker. What do you want your phone to do, automatically and repetitively? This will do it. I don't need the GPS on at home, but I do want the WiFi on. Well it happens automatically when I get close to home. But I want the WiFi off when I hit the road, and the GPS on, so when I leave home they switch. When I hit work, the ringer and other notifications go to vibrate. When I leave work, they go to loud so I can hear them over the noise if I'm driving with the windows down. But they go back to a more moderate volume when I slow down below 5 mph. Limited pretty much only by your imagination.

Dropbox is very handy for transferring files from your PC to your phone, as well as keeping consistent versions of files on multiple PCs. All of this is over the Internet, no physical or WiFi needed. You start with 2 GB of storage and can get up to 8 GB for free. Speaking of which, if you want sign up for Dropbox please PM me and let me send you an invite. You get 250 MB for every person that signs up with you, up to 8 GB. (If you feel this is inappropriate here please let me know and I'll edit out the request and start a separate thread.)

So many good apps, so little time to write about them. Honorable mention to Digital Clock, Google Skymaps, BatteryLife, Moon Phase Pro, is a very cool Live wallpaper with widgets if you don't want to run the wallpaper.

And of course the list goes on.

Reactions: Shrasmyl
Upvote 0
All app links are to Cyrket, which has same product view as the market, and the QR codes if you want them.

Note that there are pay apps mixed in with free apps here.

In no particular order:

GPS Status
I much prefer this over GPS Test as I feel it is a much cleaner interface (i.e. it doesn't look like it was drawn with a crayon), even to the point where I paid for it. GPS Test Plus Looks interesting, but the same issues with the interface will probably apply for me.

Google Goggles is nothing short of amazing. No, it doesn't find results 100% of the time, but it does so a high enough percentage to be useful.

Tasker. What do you want your phone to do, automatically and repetitively? This will do it. I don't need the GPS on at home, but I do want the WiFi on. Well it happens automatically when I get close to home. But I want the WiFi off when I hit the road, and the GPS on, so when I leave home they switch. When I hit work, the ringer and other notifications go to vibrate. When I leave work, they go to loud so I can hear them over the noise if I'm driving with the windows down. But they go back to a more moderate volume when I slow down below 5 mph. Limited pretty much only by your imagination.

Dropbox is very handy for transferring files from your PC to your phone, as well as keeping consistent versions of files on multiple PCs. All of this is over the Internet, no physical or WiFi needed. You start with 2 GB of storage and can get up to 8 GB for free. Speaking of which, if you want sign up for Dropbox please PM me and let me send you an invite. You get 250 MB for every person that signs up with you, up to 8 GB. (If you feel this is inappropriate here please let me know and I'll edit out the request and start a separate thread.)

So many good apps, so little time to write about them. Honorable mention to Digital Clock, Google Skymaps, BatteryLife, Moon Phase Pro, is a very cool Live wallpaper with widgets if you don't want to run the wallpaper.

And of course the list goes on.

How do you buy Tasker? It wouldn't let me use my Amex card... I'm guessing because its out of the UK... not sure ?

Upvote 0
How do you buy Tasker? It wouldn't let me use my Amex card... I'm guessing because its out of the UK... not sure ?

That is a good question. I had the option to buy using Google Checkout or billing it to my carrier (T-Mobile).

I'm pretty sure that Google Checkout isn't available in Europe yet... but they billed me in GBP so..... I dunno.

Can you set up a Google Checkout account?

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on how you have ATK setup as far as the settings go? Thanks.

my auto kill level is on crazy
auto kill frequency is set to when screen is off

What I did is simply ignore the apps that I use such as messaging, AIM, and gmail, and it kills the rest whenever I lock my phone

I've noticed apps like Voice Dialer, Amazon MP3 and Visual Voicemail are always running in the background for some reason so this does a great job of killing those apps and my battery life has been a lot better.

Upvote 0
BUZZ OFF - # 1 used. Allows me to set my sound to turn off for a set amount of time and then automatically turns the ringer back on. It can also be set to turn back on based on distance. Set it at meetings, the movies, and every night to keep the phone quiet while I sleep.

ADVANCED TASK MANAGER - saves my battery big time.

POWER MANAGER - again, saves my battery. Automatically adjusts phone services based on battery life. When battery gets to 30%, it shuts down non-essential services and dims the screen. Can over-ride if needed.

KEY RING - Scans all those annoying store cards so I don't have to carry them. Displays the bar code for clerk to scan.

GOOGLE VOICE - Gives me one number that rings both my home AND cell phone, so I can decide which phone to answer, and I never miss a call. Also translates my voice mail msgs and send them to me by email or text.

Upvote 0
Here's a few I personally like a lot:

NewsRoom - Add RSS feeds from any site. It is fast and has a looks nice. Probably my most used app.

Reverse Lookup - For looking up numbers I don't recognize.

gStrings - Guitar tuner, since I suck at tuning by ear. I also use it for my ukulele.

Aedict - For anyone wanting a very nice English-Japanese dictionary. I belive it also does Japanese-French/German. It's based of Jim Breen's WWWJDIC and works very well.

RadioTime - Another radio app, but unlike Pandora, it lets you listen to live radio from just about any station in the world.

Upvote 0
BUZZ OFF - # 1 used. Allows me to set my sound to turn off for a set amount of time and then automatically turns the ringer back on. It can also be set to turn back on based on distance. Set it at meetings, the movies, and every night to keep the phone quiet while I sleep.

ADVANCED TASK MANAGER - saves my battery big time.

POWER MANAGER - again, saves my battery. Automatically adjusts phone services based on battery life. When battery gets to 30%, it shuts down non-essential services and dims the screen. Can over-ride if needed.

KEY RING - Scans all those annoying store cards so I don't have to carry them. Displays the bar code for clerk to scan.

GOOGLE VOICE - Gives me one number that rings both my home AND cell phone, so I can decide which phone to answer, and I never miss a call. Also translates my voice mail msgs and send them to me by email or text.

I installed Key Ring and could not get it to work anywhere. What is your success rate with it? I was using a Behold 2 at the time so I may give it a shot again.

Upvote 0
my auto kill level is on crazy
auto kill frequency is set to when screen is off

What I did is simply ignore the apps that I use such as messaging, AIM, and gmail, and it kills the rest whenever I lock my phone

I've noticed apps like Voice Dialer, Amazon MP3 and Visual Voicemail are always running in the background for some reason so this does a great job of killing those apps and my battery life has been a lot better.

Ok going to try and explain this again.... TASK KILLER APPS are not only not needed but do more harm than good and use more battery than the tasks they actually kill... Please try and think in linux terms not windows terms... Linux based systems only use what they need when they need it and when you close an app it is frozen and no longer in memory just a place holder to resume from not the actual app..... where as task killers are ALWAYS on because they wait for something to cycle and kill it before it has a chance preventing the system from running its cycles which is more likely to cause issues than allowing your system to run.... Task killers are IMMENSELY useful for windows based systems because EVERYTHING is just sitting and eating memory.... but they are USELESS on linux systems because of the way the systems run...

Reactions: yummytyson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones