• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your photos!

Ultrapixel vs. Megapixel argument: My necessary first-hand attempt at testing this out!

A friend of mine owned the Samsung S2 which coincidentally has twice the number of Megapixels that the HTC One has, so we thought to try taking similar pictures and comparing Ultrapixel to Megapixel.

Here are some examples of pictures taken in different lighting conditions, with a zoomed-in pixel comparisons at the end.

-TEST 1-

• Dark Room
  • Lighting Source: One Flashlight turned on, and pointing straight up at the ceiling (High-tech).

Samsung S2x:

Obviously not very good. Pixels are not even a consideration here, due to the lack of lighting/ability to compare.

samsungnolite_zps68bcfdef.jpg

HTC One:

It's not like it's level of detail is insanely high, but you can make out the clothes in the closet quite easily. Remember...this is in a completely dark room with a single ambient lighting source. Not bad, considering.

htconenolite_zps29ea9e9b.jpg

-TEST 2-

• Normally lit room
  • Lighting Source: Ceiling Lamp Turned on
Samsung S2x:

Typical indoors camera phone shot. Red blanket on bed is washed out.

Samsungwlite_zpsa894ed22.jpg

HTC One:

Colours are brighter, less pixelly on flat surfaces/edges, etc. (Note detail of glare on top of door, drywall seam on ceiling, grain in hardwood floors)

htconelite_zpsca6c887e.jpg

LETS GO IN FOR A CLOSER LOOK

comparison_zps0d89bab3.jpg

Conclusion:

We've taken the HTC One's "4 Ultrapixel" camera and compared it directly with a Camera on another phone that has twice as many megapixels. In low-light conditions AND regular indoor conditions, the HTC One outperformed the S2x in image quality and colour representation quite impressively.

Upvote 0
Here's something I posted in the other thread

Here's another example of the HTC One vs. another Smartphone's camera. This time in an applicable, everyday use scenario.

Samsung Note 2

HTC One

And a couple comparisons of zoomed-in shots for the purpose of comparing resolution at lower light.

Both shots have the HTC One on the right, and the Samsung on the left.

Upvote 0
I took some photos with my One this weekend. I do notice some graininess and some over saturation of the red.

IMAG0031.jpg

These might be from a zoe, can't tell, also not sure of the jpeg compression settings, or the upload settings???
IMAG0033_ZOE019.jpg

Through a dirty windshield while driving.
IMAG0021.jpg

Sno zoe, note the individual snow flakes (would probably be blurred with a normal cell phone camera)
IMAG0017_ZOE010.jpg

First sequence shot. Note the overlapping arm... subject must walk faster!
IMAG0013_ZOESHOT006_1.jpg

Macro that I thought was in focus at the time... could do better now after some practice.
IMAG0004.jpg

Upvote 0
BUMP.
Aren't you guys using the camera on your phone? :p

Humor me. I'm still debating the quality of photos between the One and the S4.

Please keep'm coming guys and gals! I found this thread on the second page... Not O.K. :mad:;)

Well, at my friend's house last night he got this quick video shot through his closed window.. quality looks pretty good for no flash at night...

NSFW

:D

Upvote 0
Ultrapixel vs. Megapixel argument: My necessary first-hand attempt at testing this out!

A friend of mine owned the Samsung S2 which coincidentally has twice the number of Megapixels that the HTC One has, so we thought to try taking similar pictures and comparing Ultrapixel to Megapixel.

Here are some examples of pictures taken in different lighting conditions, with a zoomed-in pixel comparisons at the end.

-TEST 1-

• Dark Room
  • Lighting Source: One Flashlight turned on, and pointing straight up at the ceiling (High-tech).

Samsung S2x:

Obviously not very good. Pixels are not even a consideration here, due to the lack of lighting/ability to compare.

samsungnolite_zps68bcfdef.jpg

HTC One:

It's not like it's level of detail is insanely high, but you can make out the clothes in the closet quite easily. Remember...this is in a completely dark room with a single ambient lighting source. Not bad, considering.

htconenolite_zps29ea9e9b.jpg

-TEST 2-

• Normally lit room
  • Lighting Source: Ceiling Lamp Turned on
Samsung S2x:

Typical indoors camera phone shot. Red blanket on bed is washed out.

Samsungwlite_zpsa894ed22.jpg

HTC One:

Colours are brighter, less pixelly on flat surfaces/edges, etc. (Note detail of glare on top of door, drywall seam on ceiling, grain in hardwood floors)

htconelite_zpsca6c887e.jpg

LETS GO IN FOR A CLOSER LOOK

comparison_zps0d89bab3.jpg

Conclusion:

We've taken the HTC One's "4 Ultrapixel" camera and compared it directly with a Camera on another phone that has twice as many megapixels. In low-light conditions AND regular indoor conditions, the HTC One outperformed the S2x in image quality and colour representation quite impressively.

Nice comparison, but the S2 is a really old phone. Regardless of it's megapixel count, it doesn't have the latest sensors or tech built in it to produce a better image even in daylight. Maybe to the S4 or even S3 would've been better as far as for a comparison.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones