• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Post Your Setcpu Profiles Here

If you have a charging profile and a sleep/standby profile both set, which one does it use if it's charging and asleep?

Bump - anyone know? And once the battery is at full charge but is still connected to the charger, is it "charging"? Got stuck in the ditch on this as I was pondering the profiles and decided to leave the "charging" profile blank and let the sleep state control.

Upvote 0
Bump - anyone know? And once the battery is at full charge but is still connected to the charger, is it "charging"? Got stuck in the ditch on this as I was pondering the profiles and decided to leave the "charging" profile blank and let the sleep state control.

I would imagine that the charging state supersedes the sleep state simply because it needs to charge to be able to keep sleeping....if you follow.

I wouldn't leave that profile blank as people have been concerned about leaving it OC'd when it charges.

Upvote 0
I would imagine that the charging state supersedes the sleep state simply because it needs to charge to be able to keep sleeping....if you follow.

I wouldn't leave that profile blank as people have been concerned about leaving it OC'd when it charges.

Right, but I use Navigation, Pandora, etc. in a car dock and it's frequently charging while it's in there. I'd like it to be able to ramp up as needed to my max clock speed but yet I don't want it running that fast when it's asleep on the charger at night so I ramp it down to 600 max.

Upvote 0

From the instructions on SetCPU :

Keep in mind that the profiles are listed in order of priority. For example, if the phone is charging and sleeping, and both of those profiles are enabled, SetCPU will use the charging profile.

Also, I would think that as long as it's connect to a charging source, even if it is 100%, it is still charging.

Upvote 0
Right, but I use Navigation, Pandora, etc. in a car dock and it's frequently charging while it's in there. I'd like it to be able to ramp up as needed to my max clock speed but yet I don't want it running that fast when it's asleep on the charger at night so I ramp it down to 600 max.

That's what min and max and cpu governor are for. If the governor is set to ondemand, it will only use as much CPU as required by the apps/services running. You could set it to 250/800 (or 1ghz) for the charging profile and it should stay at 250 unless you are running navigation/pandora/etc.

I actually set my charging profile to 250/800 even though my overall profile is set to 250/1000. The reason I did this is because I, too, use my phone often when it is connected via USB or in the car dock, so I want it to be able to ramp up to 800 on demand. Why not 250/1000 for charging you ask? I feel like the charging process is already putting some heat on the battery so I don't want the cpu adding too much to the heating process. That's my reasoning at least ;)

Upvote 0
@ronx: Thanks. Score me a "fail" for not reading the fine print clearly listing the order of priority on the profiles. D'Oh!

I did run a test yesterday on the way to work with Navigation running and charging part of the way in and I hit 42 Celsius which triggered my fail safe profile to drop it to 600. I'll set "charging" to 800 and see what kind of heat it triggers with Navigation and Pandora both running while charging in the dock.

I have a Seidio case and car dock so there's a bit more insulation than "naked."

Upvote 0
I'm running bb 7.5 and I have sleep/standby set to 250/250. When people call it plays the ringtone and vibrates but it is very hard to slide the answer button across the screen to answer the call. Is this because of the sleep/standby setting? I just raised it to 550/250 to see if it would help. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah, I always have issues with putting sleep/standby at 250/250. Whether it's missed phone calls, or even my music starts to stutter a bit.

I'd just keep it at 550/250. I doubt he's undervolting it at 250, so there's probably no (or minimal) power savings between 250 vs. 550.

Upvote 0
When you open you can move the sliders to the max and and min you want to use. On scaling most people use "ondemand"
If you open up the next tab which is "profiles" you can click on add a profile. Set the profile up the way you want. Say have it at 600/250 for screen off. You can set up the profiles you want to use and then give them priority over one and other. As it was explained to me when you set the main screen to ondemand the profiles will override the main when necessary.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I wanted to bump this topic.

I can't seem to find instructions on how to setup the SETCPU app. Can anyone provide any detailed info regarding such? I just dled it and the main tab indicates 300 MHz scaling ondemand with a min and max of 300,000.

You also need to make sure that when you go into detect devise that you select auto detect and not the Moto Droid. You can do this by pressing the menu key while in the SetCPU app.

Upvote 0
Reactions: deronee
Upvote 0
Get the app DroCap from the market. It is for root users and will let you take screenshots easily. No need for those instructions :)

Ahh Thanks a million. It took me forever to find it.

chart

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones