1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roger 68, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Roger 68

Roger 68 Lurker

Hello!...I'm TOTALLY NEW to this world of tech, Android Phones, etc. etc.
    I have a LG Volt, and from what I HAVE learned of it's capabilities, I'm impressed...but then I'm TOTALLY NEW, so that doesn't require much...lol...
    Anywho, I'm DESPERATELY seeking help in learing how to navigate this thing, as well as knowing what to do, what not to do, right down to the REAL meat of things like, (what is...) Rooting, what apps can I safely delete, even how to delete them...etc. etc., ...
    So as you cn SEE, I Am TOTALLY NEW to this world....PLEASE HELP???...
    p.s. I may require MORE OF an one on one, so IF you're THAT someone who not only CAN help, but also is WILLING to, then get at me...PEACE! ...
    Sincerely, Roger 68

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Welcome to smart phones, Android, and AndroidForums.com Roger.:)

Let's start at the beginning with navigating your phone as many folks have no need for rooting. Let us know which apps you want to delete and why. Sometimes when you understand why something is important or how it works it is no longer necessary to remove it.

Roger 68 likes this.
  3. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Welcome! Most will agree you've made a great choice for a first phone! :)

To expand on Unfofgiven's post a bit...

The stock, unrooted system will allow you to uninstall some apps. In general, these are all safe to remove, it's simply a matter of if you want those apps. They will be listed in the Downloaded section of the Applications menu in Settings. There are others that can be disabled. You can safely disable any of these as well, but you may lose features in doing so. Disabling means the app is still on the phone, but is unavailable for use and will not run at all, saving some system resources. If you disable something you realize you need/want, simply reenable it.

It's pretty hard to break your phone without being rooted.

Roger 68 likes this.
  4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

I guess a question we would have for you us what are you wanting to do/accomplish/learn with your phone?

Roger 68 and Unforgiven like this.
  5. Roger 68

Roger 68 Lurker

Thank you BOTH, "Unforgiven" AND "bg4m3r" if I mis typed your names, I AM VERY SORRY! I didn't write them down, I was JUST SO pleased that I finally did something RIGHT, AND got a reply to it, I guess I just lost my mind!...lol...
    Speaking of lost, I guess I also should've mentioned that I NEED to KNOW how to properly enter, and ost messages, and comments etc. on THIS site/forum!??!...please reply to THAT as well. Thank You!
    Well FIRST, I'm again NEW to this, THANK YOU for saying I made a GOOD choice for my first phone...(it's actually my second...I'll explain later! ) nevertheless, THANKS!
    I, at THIS point, only use my phone to txt,and make calls, with some general web surfing! And at this point, I DON'T really NEED it for much else...STILL want to have SOME options left open, for future exploring though!
    I read something that said getting rid of some apps, will help speed your phone up, performance wise, and since I've recently started noticing slower speeds, I figured why not TRY it...THEN I read something I saw on this Blessing of a site, and it said DON'T JUST GO deleting apps,cause that may cause your phone to "Brick", and although I didn't REALLY KNOW what that meant, it spoke Volumes!
    So, before I write a book, let me ask what apps DON'T I NEED, and can safely delete, or enable?

Unforgiven likes this.
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I'm heading out momentarily for Trick or Treating with my son, so I'll be brief. As far as posting on the forum, you seem to be doing fine so far. At the top left of the screen, you will see a link for User CP, this is the easiest way to find out if there are any responses to threads you subscribed to here. You don't need to navigate to where your thread is to check it.

If you notice my red Moderator badge, that means that I am on of the staffers here. Part of my volunteer job is to organize the forum and enforce the rules. Unofficially, we are also ambassadors for the site and do our best to make new members like you feel welcome. If you ever need a hand with the forum or finding your way around, feel free to click on my username in any of my posts, and hit the "Send Private Message" link. It's like an email, but is within the site. I'll gladly be able to help you with site.

As far as your questions in the site, again, you are doing fine so far. While I have a bazillion posts, I'm by no means that smartest Android person here. This site is built on members helping members, as bg4m3r has. Rest assured there are no dumb questions and there is near certainty many of your questions can be answered.

And finally, for what it's worth, I had never posted on a forum of any kind until I joined here.;)

Now to your phone questions, how is your phone slowing down? Most bloatware apps (carrier installed apps) though annoying to look at, don't actually hinder performance of the phone. I say most, some vendors / carriers install different bloat than others. If you are using a task killer of any kind, don't. Unlike Windows, Android is designed to run at or near memory capacity. Many folks use task killers in a futile attempt to speed their device up by freeing memory. They are, in fact, both slowing down the device and lessening the life of the battery. Don't be ashamed if you are using one, I did because the clerk that sold me my first phone told me it was a good app.:eek:

Thats what I have so far, but I am subscribed to this thread, so I'll see any subsequent questions of posts you have.

Roger 68 likes this.
  7. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Since you aren't using your phone for much, I wouldn't worry about rooting at this time. As for what you can remove, being not rooted will prevent you from removing or disabling anything vital. I have posted a list oh what I have removed on my phone. You can go through and just disable the ones you can't uninstall. Here is the list:
    http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=872156

If you have any questions about any of the apps, just ask. :)

Unforgiven and Roger 68 like this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews