• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Posting videos in portrait format

I have a HTC-EV0 4G, Android 2.2 ... with the i Phone, the video can be posted in portrait format on facebook. If I took a video picture of something in portrait angle, and i want to post it in portrait view, it will still show the video in landscape view which forces you to turn your head sideways to look at the video. Is there anyway I can turn the video to make it portrait view rather than landscape view? I know I can look at the video clip on my android phone either in portrait or landscape view, but when it is posted on facebook, it's always in landscape view :(.

Have you tried taking the videos holding the phone the different way? When you take clips with an android you have to take it holding the top in your left hand and bottom in your right hand sort of way and they should in theory come out the right way when you upload them somewhere. Take the below youtube video for example which I took not too long ago with my vibrant (theres plenty more from the festival).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B1OjBv058

Upvote 0
You should probably get used to using landscape view always. In my honest opinion, portrait videos are incredibly annoying. Most computer monitors are wider than they are tall (even non-widescreen monitors), and it doesn't look natural. It feels weird to be restricted from seeing what's on the left and right of the frame.

I actually wish Apple DIDN'T allow you to do this. Now people make videos with their iPhones in the portrait orientation and it drives me up the wall! It looks terrible, restricted, and very amateurish.

If you really think you need portrait, maybe you need to readjust your subject matter. If something is too tall, consider backing off a bit, or panning up and down.

Upvote 0
You should probably get used to using landscape view always. In my honest opinion, portrait videos are incredibly annoying. Most computer monitors are wider than they are tall (even non-widescreen monitors), and it doesn't look natural. It feels weird to be restricted from seeing what's on the left and right of the frame.

Exactly. I hate when people take videos in portrait mode. Portrait is for pictures, not video. Have you ever seen a video camera (apart from the iphone) that lets you record sideways? The answer is no, because video is meant to be shot in 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio.

So there's your answer, shoot your video with the phone sideways, so it comes out like it should.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones