• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Potential buyer with broadband question...

Hi all,

I'm researching android tablets for a purchase...it would be my first tablet. I just got my first smart phone two years ago and if it weren't for the awesome people on the forum, I would know nothing about how to work it, LOL. I'm a techno idiot!

I'm interested in the Toshiba Thrive, particularly the smaller model. I like the sd card, usb and other options it offers.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a 3g/4g usb modem (is this called a dongle?) with the Thrive? I don't have wifi and am not sure I want to buy a portable wifi transmitter (is that mifi?). My husband has a verizon modem for his laptop, so I got to thinking about the possibility of using it with a tablet. If another carrier or modem would work, I'll buy whatever is needed.

Also, I'm assuming the Thrive 7" can be rooted just like the big version? Would the rooting instructions be the same?

Finally, would there be any outstanding reasons I should get the full-size over the smaller model? I like the idea of smaller for portability, putting in my purse...

TIA for all your help and insight!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones