1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Potetntially Dumb GPS Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by _bmb_, Mar 21, 2011.

1. _bmb_

_bmb_ Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    First time poster who's learned alot from this site over the last few years. Just upgraded from the Eris to TBolt and have had some trouble getting some accurate GPS readings. My Weather Channel app seems to think I'm about 15 miles from where I actually am and Google maps, which used to be pretty spot on, now seems like it is approximating my location. Perhaps there is something different in this version of Android (as compared to what I had witht he eris), but all my novice tweaking has not had much success. Any thoughts?

Potentially related note...I purchased "Weather Widgets" for like $1 from the market which seems think I'm in the same location as Weather Channel app. I'm also linking from this widget to the app because I like the weather channel app but hate the widgets, could this be passing the bad location data from the widget to the app? When I open in the weather channel app stand alone, I still get the wrong town 15 miles away. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2010
    Philthadelphia
    Have you tried rebooting? My Eris used to lose gps accuracy every 4 or 5 days. A reboot fixed it. So far haven't had this problem with the TB.

_bmb_ likes this.
  3. _bmb_

_bmb_ Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Nice, that seemed to work. I'm inside so I think thats why maps was having trouble, kind of a brain cramp there. Otherwise the two weather apps have a better read on where I'm at. It took my battery from ~25% before the restart to 10% when it came back up. Guess there is alot CPU being used durring that process?

4. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You'll have a little more problems in getting accuracy indoors. Either way, make sure these settings are checked:

Menu
    Settings
    -VZW Location Services (uses verizon cell towers to find location)
    -Standalone GPS Services (uses GPS satellites to find location)
    -Google Location Services (uses wireless networks to find location)

The second on the list, Standalone GPS Services turns your GPS on/off. When not using GPS, turn it off to save power. You can use a widget to control your GPS antenna. :)

5. Skeletronix

None

Feb 17, 2010
    Philthadelphia
    Thats quite a jump. Shouldn't be that much drain. Just curious, what battery indicator are you using? Some are real battery hogs and not as consistent as they should be.

6. Skeletronix

None

Feb 17, 2010
    Philthadelphia
    Just FYI, not trying to be a dick, but turning off GPS is not needed. GPS is only activated when an app requires it. It remains off till needed. Won't effect battery life.

7. _bmb_

_bmb_ Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Gauge Battery I think is what its called. Looks like a speedometer.

8. Skeletronix

None

Feb 17, 2010
    Philthadelphia
    Not too familiar, but reviews seem to think its pretty accurate and no one is complaining about battery consumption. I just remember reading about certain battery widgets that were causing problems and thought maybe you were getting an inaccurate reading from one of them. Glad the reboot worked out for you! Welcome to the forums!

9. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Right. There are several widgets that will attempt to get your location using GPS without you knowing it. Therefore, turning off GPS when you're not using maps is a good idea.