1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Pouring out my Kool-Aid...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Leadfingers, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Leadfingers

Leadfingers Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I've been anxiously awaiting the Bionic since about Day 1. But I think I'm done.

Seriously. A phone with a 1 Ghz Dual Core, 1 GB RAM and a qHD screen is simply not competitive this late in the game. (Even with the recent "news" that it will come with 32GB of storage and good battery life).

Let me put this another way... as someone who doesn't have a contrct right now, I can get an Atrix as well. It has basically the exact same specs. So what's really the difference?

To me, if the Bionic doesn't come with Tegra3, 720p or something next-gen like that, then it's going to be a huge flop.

Edit: I can get the Atrix all day for $99, which is 1/3 the suspected cost of the Bionic.

Advertisement

2. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    One word why I wouldn't go get an Atrix......ATT.

Slower speeds, less coverage, less 4G coverage for sure. You go to ATT when you've drunk too much of the Kool-Aid.

If you don't want the Bionic, then wait and see what the Stratosphere and Vigor have to offer. You've waited this long.....that's the plan I'm following. I'm not jumping on the Bionic on day one.

aioka and redraider1 like this.
  3. Leadfingers

Leadfingers Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    The coverage issues aren't that important in my area (Washington DC). Both networks have plenty of 4g around here. So I admit that maybe I live in a bit of a bubble compared to the rest of the country.

But if you leave the networks out for a moment, and just look at the hardware, the Bionic is starting to look pretty un-inspiring. Especially if it comes with 512 RAM and no lapdock. And let's face it. iPhone 5 is due out ~30 days after the Bionic. If you were Motorola would you want to put this old gray mare up agains the iPhone?

4. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Bionic has 1GB.

Also, I wouldn't touch the Vigor with a 10 foot poll.

5. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Kansas, United States
    Does the bionic still have DDR2 memory? If so, its wayyyy faster than the SDRAM of every other phone...

6. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    It's true, the Bionic isn't going to be quite the game changer it could have been had it come earlier this summer. There are other dual core phone's that have beaten it to the punch, some of which run on the HSPA+ network. But when the Bionic does drop, it'll be the first dual core LTE phone.

The kicker is you've satisfied your contract, so you're free to go anywhere you please. You would def want to check each carrier's coverage map where you live, work, and where you will be using the phone most often.

Me, I can't leave Verizon, even if I wanted to. I have a special pricing and unlimited data on all 5 lines of my family plan. Then, there's the fact that they're the best network in my area. So the first dual core phone that comes out with LTE wins, and that looks to be the Bionic.

redraider1 likes this.
  7. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I think it's all but unofficially official that it has 1GB of RAM, so that shouldn't be your concern. Look, I feel your frustrations as well. If this phone had come out anywhere near when it should've been(May - July), I would've gone out and bought it "pre-order style". So either go see what the specs of the Stratosphere are on the same release day, or wait and see what the Vigor and/or iPhone 5 have to offer. I will never own an iPhone though; I'm not an Apple person and never will be...I'm not the type of person who thinks Apple just turned my shit into gold, like most iPhoner's are...will you be able to play Battlefield 3 on Mac? Nope.

On a side note about iPhoners and ATT, here's a perfect example: In Little Rock, this was Alltel HQ that VW bought out, so Alltel was king in Arkansas and VW just solidified the marketplace here with it's superior network and infrastructure. A friend of mine a couple of weeks ago posted on FB about his i3GS going out and was going to go pick up an i4. I told him to wait another month or two to pick up the i5, but that if he couldn't wait, to at least get one on VW. He went to ATT to upgrade to i4, and the store rep told him there wasn't any i5 coming out soon. After that, I compared the data speeds between the two networks. His only reason or comeback he had to base his decision to stay on ATT was that the Verizon Wireless Arena in LR couldn't even wash the white roof of their building, why would he switch to VW? What? Here's another example: my girlfriend as well has an i3G on ATT. She has to hold her phone up in the air and wave it around to get text messages to go thru at her house. More? We drove to Destin, FL for the 4th of July...I had 3G the entire drive down...she had mostly EDGE on the drive down, only getting 3G when we hit a major city...and she still got EDGE on the beach.

8. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Yeah, AT&T coverage issues are not as widespread as people think it is. One of my best friends has AT&T and travels all over the country and to other countries on a constant basis, and has zero issues. I think all of that is kind of propaganda from competitors.

HOWEVER, it's been confirmed that the Bionic is coming with 1 GB of RAM, not 512. And iPhone's release is not the primary reason to wait.

iPhone 5 will most likely have 768 MB RAM (rumored), a smaller screen, and the shackles of Apple. Yes, it has Retina display, but again, on a smaller screen. iPhone made the first big splash, but their subsequent models haven't been revolutionary since. They all have tiny little tweaks that make it rather uninspiring, if you ask me.

I seriously think that Apple is doling out it's tech in small bites just to keep making money. How else can you explain the short amount of time between the "revolutionary" iPad 2 and now the "revolutionary" iPad 3?

Networks aside, iPhone wouldn't make me blink. The Bionic will be far more advanced than the iPhone, which most likely won't even have 4G capability. The only thing that will make me not get the Bionic is if SGSII comes out at the same time, or if we get official word on release of either Dinara or Nexus Prime.

9. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Vigor = Never.

Dinara = I have read/heard that it's not coming to Verizon.

Nexus Prime = Would be awesome.

However, I KNOW what the Bionic has and it is amazing compared to my OG Droid, it will be smooth, slick, and fast.

Bionic it is.

10. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Well, that's what I'm leaning towards, too. At this point, the only thing that will stop me from getting the Bionic is if the SGSII comes out at the same time. If it does, I will wait about a week to see which is best.

It seems that our Yoda friend's assertion of 15 hours+ with 4G on is being spread like wildfire on the net. I hope he's right or it will piss off a lot of people. The Charge and Thunderbolt got like 4 hours with 4G on.

If the battery level is about equal amongst the two, I'll be getting the SGSII. If Yoda's right and the SGSII blows battery-wise, fine. Bionic it is.

I don't care that much at this point, I just want it to be over with already.

Vehtemas and jroc like this.
  11. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Exactly!!!

jroc likes this.
  12. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Reviews of the overseas GS2 has battery life being real nice, so I dont see it changing....unless its LTE.

There are some things with the GS2 coming to the U.S. right now that has it about as up in the air as the Bionic release date....

I dont think we will know the exact chip in the GS2 until official specs come out and Apple winning lil court battles overseas that might effect Samsung U.S. products.

13. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Someone up there ^ said it supposed to be LTE.

14. Leadfingers

Leadfingers Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Just to be clear, I'd never get an iPhone. So my question is really directed to Motorola and VzW. What is their business strategy in deploying a phone that uses last generation's technology, at the same time that Apple will be releasing it's next-gen phone?

15. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    ^The iPhone 5 is supposed to be dual core too. I dont think it will have 1GB ram...

There are some phones on Verizon or will be on Verizon that will match up spec wise to it...

If you mean the Bionic and last gen technology...dual core in phones just hit this year. 1GB ram in phones just hit this year. Not too many phones have 1GB ram, not too many phones will have webtop.

HTC or Samsung doesnt even have a dual core phone on Verizon yet, so its not just Moto.

They all could be coming out at around the same time, but I wouldnt call the Bionic last gen technology, when it will be similar to what else gets released.

Moto did release 2 dual core phones on Verizon before HTC and Samsung....those 2 released an LTE phone first.

16. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    There's not a lot of strategy needed because Moto's last gen tech IS Apple's next-gen tech!

Screen resolution aside, Apple is way behind the curve. Processor speed expected on the iPhone will be inferior to what manufacturers like Moto and Samsung have put out months ago, and lack of LTE kills it.

There are only 2 things that Apple excels at:

1. Having the same source for both hardware and software. This is why almost everything Apple makes is glitch-free.

2. Innovation. They are extremely creative. Although it doesn't come around as often as people might think. iPhone was innovative. (the iPod touch wasn't; it just copied the iPhone). The iPad was innovative. That's pretty much it. Everything they do is just adding a grain of sand on the scale. They come out with one cool device and just make it slightly thinner, a few ounces lighter, and everyone goes nuts and waits in line for 2 days.

jroc likes this.
  17. Rhystatic

Rhystatic Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Just compare the Bionic specs to something similar here to the korean version of the Galaxy SII. It's a no contest. If that phone (700mhz of course making it U.S. LTE compatible) were to drop here at the same time or before the Bionic...

I know which I would pick.

18. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    ^Its a no contest...yet both with have 1GB ram...

Both will be dual core....with the Exynos and OMAP being considered the best chips out...thats if the US version will even have an Exynos...(the phone in the above link has a Snapdragon..)

Screen? Preference. I might can give the edge to S Amoled +...

Webtop for Bionic for those that might actually take advantage of it....

Just based on specs...I still cant see why ppl claim the GS2 is soooo much more advanced. All I see is thin, S Amoled + and Touchwiz as differences.

19. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Well of course it's going to be subjective. Which is the prettier pig? Depends on the observer.

But if I get the Bionic, I will definitely feel like I'm settling because of the Pentile screen. That's pretty much the biggest thing for me. Even in photos of it you can see the pixelation. I can't stand it.

20. Rhystatic

Rhystatic Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    1.5 Snapdragon is comparable to the 1.2 Exynos, correct. About equal.

SAmoled+ destroys pentile, and while obviously my opinion, I hear that's a pretty solid opinion for many people.

I'll give you Webtop. HDMI output might be nice for some.

Super thin, Super sleek are very popular "preferences" which help make phones more popular.

Touchwiz destroys the every so laggy motoblur.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has been released for 3 months now and is a proven, tested, machine. I would also take a reliably proven phone over a 9 month late questionable and just released phone that needed to be revamped a few times due to heat issues.

21. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    ^The latest ever so laggy Motoblur that getting decent reviews?

Was it just heat issues....or Moto developing their own LTE chip as the reasons for the delays?

Why did they switch to OMAP from Tegra 2 for the Bionic and Droid 3? Had to be for a reason...was that part of the delays too?

So you think the OMAP doesnt compare to the Exynos huh....take a peak at bench marks of the LG 3D and the Droid 3....

The GS2 is a great phone...but its not so far ahead of other phones thats its a no contest.

Thin, S Amoled +, Touchwiz....makes it a no contest...still dont see the no contest part. No contest for sleekness, yes. Everything else...I just dont see it.

EDIT: ....well.....if this is true:

http://phandroid.com/2011/08/09/rumor-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-lte-celox-to-have-super-amoled-hd-display/

I would definitely give the screen edge to the GS2....lol

22. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    TouchWiz 4.0 on SGS2 is completely revamped version just like new Blur is to old Motoblur. I actually like new TouchWiz 4.0 seen in most SGS2 video reviews and it seems very smooth and nicely designed unlike old crappy TouchWiz.

23. droidfan1

droidfan1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    LTE? 1.5 GHZ? SUPER AMOLED PLUS HD?

I'd say it is the nexus prime...

jroc likes this.
  24. milan03

milan03 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    New York City
    Here is the part you may not understand, in my opinion. It's not about how good your phone specs are, it's about how good your experience is with your smartphone.
    Let me put it into perspective. Average Android user change his/hers phone between 1-2 times a year. Cutting edge users more than that.
    iPhone users switch their phones once a year by most likely going back with iOS. Why?
    Well one thing Android doesn't provide is the emotional experience which comes out of the industrial design combined with GUI loaded with loads of CoreAnimations that just works and it's so intuitive a grandma could learn it in a day or so.

Now what's the root of this problem? Well, for one fragmentation. Every OEM makes their own layers of UI trying to be different than the other maker, which only makes things more complicated.. unfortunately. On top of that you have Wireless providers that load that with crapware and don't necessarily make it easy for you to get the latest and greatest OS update and all the new features.

So far, only few OEMs got this right and shipped the complete package and most recently Samsung GS2. Even though it's in many ways iPhone rip off, they actually got that emotional experience right with their sleek design, packaging and even improved TouchWiz (although I'm not a big fan).

So again, you can get cought up with specs, but for most users it's about the pleasure they get out of the sheer interaction with the UI and it's simplicity not complexity.

Just my 2cents.

25. CarLunchBox

CarLunchBox Member
    None

Apr 1, 2010

So... They may go with a pentile matrix screen?... hmmmm...