• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Power Button Alternative

zetroc

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help...

I got a RhinoShield CrashGuard bumber case, and I love it. It add minimal bulk, based on reviews it should provide awesome protection for falls, and it allows the phone to be mostly naked so I still get to feel the phone's back textures, which I enjoy. Downside, the buttons aren't as easy to press.

I'm trying to find a way to mimic the power button, or turn off the screen (as opposed to letting it time out) through software. I looked at some apps, but it seems that most use up more resources than they are worth. I do have Tasker, but I have to be frank, I'm not very knowledgeable on how to use it. I considered the system lock option, but then to unlock I can't use the fingerprint reader, I have to type in my PIN.

I'm looking for an option that will be quick and easy for when I'm driving and I want to turn off the display (or put the phone to sleep) without having to fiddle much with it. Thanks!

Use Gravity Screen to replace your power button, it can turn on the phone when you hover your hand over the phone's top where the proximity sensor is located.

To turn your phone off, use the Screen Off app, it will add a button to your home screen allowing you to turn the phone off.

I've used these two apps for years on several phones, none of them needs rooting.

Upvote 0
I did it differently.

I use a macro to sense the phone being "shaken" and the macro then locks the screen.
I don't like the other methods suggested.

MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

for the Trigger, just select "shake"
for the Action, select "Lock Screen"

I am using a folder type case for my phone, and it hides the power button.

Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0
I did it differently.

I use a macro to sense the phone being "shaken" and the macro then locks the screen.
I don't like the other methods suggested.

MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

for the Trigger, just select "shake"
for the Action, select "Lock Screen"

I am using a folder type case for my phone, and it hides the power button.
The app you said above is good, but it's not free unless you are willing to see ads. My method uses two free apps that only do what they are supposed to do.

Upvote 0
The app you said above is good, but it's not free unless you are willing to see ads. My method uses two free apps that only do what they are supposed to do.

We have a different attitude and approach to helping out developers it seems.

To me, if I use an app, and I really enjoy that app, I pay the developer for the Premium version.
As I have about 18 or so macros working for me, the trifling bit charged for MacroDroid is a pittance and I have not looked back.

Look at the ads? once MacroDroid is programmed to do what you want, you never have to look at it again, so the free version with 5 macros should be more than sufficient for what you want.

Upvote 0
We have a different attitude and approach to helping out developers it seems.

To me, if I use an app, and I really enjoy that app, I pay the developer for the Premium version.
As I have about 18 or so macros working for me, the trifling bit charged for MacroDroid is a pittance and I have not looked back.

Look at the ads? once MacroDroid is programmed to do what you want, you never have to look at it again, so the free version with 5 macros should be more than sufficient for what you want.
How can you pay for an app if the developer doesn't want you to pay for it? It's kind of common apps, if you don't make it free, others will do.

I also have a couple of paid apps, those apps are unique and they don't have competitors.

Upvote 0
Team, I appreciate the discussion, but don't fight! Lol :)

I don't mind paying for an app if it's a well built app that will use minimal resources. I guess I don't need to care so much about resources and battery but I've seen that some apps take up a lot in the background.

Because the phone is on a air vent mount, shaking it is not a good approach - sorry, I should have provided that detail. Thus, an app or widget I can place on the screen would be ideal. I'll take a look at the suggestions above.

If anyone has other methods, I'm all ears!

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, without root I don't think you're going to find an app which can turn off the screen without requiring you to enter your PIN. As you've found, apps which use the Device Administrator function to lock the screen override Smart Lock and Nexus Imprint, requiring full user interaction to unlock the device the next time.

You could try using something like Tasker (or MacroDroid) to decrease the screen timeout period to the minimum (I think 7 seconds) at the press of a button, and then have another Task/Macro to set the timeout back to your desired interval when the screen turns on.

Upvote 0
You don't have to root your phone to turn it on or off using an app.
No, root is not required - but as @zetroc mentioned in the first post of the thread those apps use the Device Administrator functionality to lock the device - which prevents you from subsequently unlocking the device with your fingerprint or Smart Lock. The only way around this (that I know of, at least) requires root.

I tested (and confirmed) this with Gravity Screen and a few of the Screen Off apps that came up in a search result. If you know of one which works without using the Device Administrator hook I'd love to know what it is.

Reactions: zetroc
Upvote 0
From http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/faqs/faq-how.html#e

Can I use Tasker to turn the screen on and off ?

Turning on, use the Display / Turn On action. Unfortunately, that action is inaccessible with Android 2.3+.
For turning off, you can use the Display / System Lock action with Android 2.0+.

I suspect it has not been updated in a while though - I don't see that option in tasker

Upvote 0
No, root is not required - but as @zetroc mentioned in the first post of the thread those apps use the Device Administrator functionality to lock the device - which prevents you from subsequently unlocking the device with your fingerprint or Smart Lock. The only way around this (that I know of, at least) requires root.

I tested (and confirmed) this with Gravity Screen and a few of the Screen Off apps that came up in a search result. If you know of one which works without using the Device Administrator hook I'd love to know what it is.

Did you try Gravity Screen's smart lock support to see if you can bypass the PIN unlock ?

Upvote 0
I have not. I don't need an solution to bypass the power button all the time - I'm ok pressing it. My issue is that because of the case I have, when it's loaded up on my car mount, it's not as easy to turn the screen off. I wanted something that would require very little effort as I want to minimize the amount of time I am focused on my phone while driving. Thus, an app or widget I could put on my home screen to just quickly tap to turn it off would be great! Kind of how the iPhone has that floating home button feature. It's fine. I've opted to simply let it time out. 30 seconds won't kill me.

Upvote 0
I've opted to simply let it time out. 30 seconds won't kill me.
That's the approach I've adopted as well - though I just started testing an app which is able to use the fingerprint sensor to put the phone to sleep. It kind of takes the Tasker approach I mentioned earlier; it blanks the screen, sets the timeout to 5 seconds, resets the timeout once the screen goes off, and thus allows you to still unlock the device with fingerprint or Smart Lock.

I'll share a link once that feature is ready for public consumption. :)

Reactions: jj14x and zetroc
Upvote 0
knock on, knock off is the best for what your doing(LG user here waiting for my Pixel to arrive someday). And from what I've been reading we are getting that feature soon. How soon, I don't know. But I keep reading they are adding the Knock feature to these phones.(and i hope i'm right)

If you never used it before you will love. And if you have used in past you'll know exactly what i mean.

I know this doesn't help you now. But help for the future.

Reactions: zetroc
Upvote 0
knock on, knock off is the best for what your doing(LG user here waiting for my Pixel to arrive someday). And from what I've been reading we are getting that feature soon. How soon, I don't know. But I keep reading they are adding the Knock feature to these phones.(and i hope i'm right)

If you never used it before you will love. And if you have used in past you'll know exactly what i mean.

I know this doesn't help you now. But help for the future.
Do you mean the double-tap wake-up feature?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones