• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power button broken (I think), please help

nossif

Lurker
Oct 30, 2014
Hey peoples, ok, so here's my issue - I have rooted sg4 on sprint, and it's been working fine, but yesterday it started acting weird and basically just turning off out of nowhere. If I took out the battery, the second I put it back in, it would boot right back up, but then immediately shut off, and i wouldn't be unable to do anything. I currently use an Otterbox case, and i have a feeling the case screwed up my power button, by making it permanently "pushed in" (my wife had similar problem w her otterbox and iphone)...anyway, i took my phone to sprint store, and they took it apart and said there was no hardware issues (specifically with power button), but they couldn't run diagnostic tests because the phone is rooted, and would need it to be un-rooted in order to run a test....problem is, I can't unroot, because i can't turn on the phone! Anyone have any ideas??? suggestions? gracias

If you can't turn the phone on, how does the store rep know that it is rooted?
no idea...i assume when he plugged his diagnostic tool in, it didn't allow him to run the report?
What's weird is, he actually was able to turn it on, and I said great, and went to pick it up, but by the time i got there, it was back to the original problem...which makes me further think that it's a hardware issue

Upvote 0
So are you saying your phone is in a start up loop. (Meaning, it keeps booting up without any input from you?) If so, your power button is shot. I just replaced my 1 yrs old S4, back in Aug., for the same reason. (I too had an Otterbox Commuter case on it as well.) You can try and bang the phone, on the power button side, on a flat surface a few times and see if that helps. (But don't break it.)

Upvote 0
So this actually worked!..well at least until I pressed the power button again....so now the plan is to do this, unroot the phone (which seemingly will pose a problem, since inevatibely i will need to press the power button..), and then hopefully bring it back to the sprint store...
thanks

Upvote 0
So this actually worked!..well at least until I pressed the power button again....so now the plan is to do this, unroot the phone (which seemingly will pose a problem, since inevatibely i will need to press the power button..), and then hopefully bring it back to the sprint store...
thanks

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones