1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Power Button - change it? Lock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by keyesmn, Sep 17, 2011.

1. keyesmn

keyesmn Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    On my Evo 3d, if i hit the power button to shut off the screen, my exchange enforced password would not need to be entered until it had actually timed out. So I could power off the screen quickly, turn it back on and just flick the screen to get to the UI.

On the GS2, if I hit the power button, it automatically locks and requires me to re-enter my pin everytime (slightly inconvenient if you keep checking your phone for texts, emails, etc) despite the timeout setting (10 mins).

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    The SGS2 has no timeout feature either - I can't even see where you specify 'timeout' setting but I suspect it relates to something else. You need to look in the market and search for something like "lock delay" and you will find several apps that do eactly that...

3. lighthalo

lighthalo Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    hes referring to the time from when the screen turns off until a password is needed to unlock it (user defined). I have run into this same exact problem (also coming from an EVO 3D) where the top button was just a screen off button. putting in my pattern code every time i want to check something is unnecessary

if anyone could figure out how to have the power button just as a screen off/on feature that would be great. i've searched everywhere..

4. dunjamon

dunjamon Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    There is a timeout option in Location & Security. Let's you set a time after the screen switches off for the lock to activate. I assume this is what you mean?

5. hightower00

hightower00 Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2012
    Hi lighthalo, did you ever find a solution for this? i.e. a way to change the power button to just turn off the screen (rather than lock the phone)?

6. lotsip81

lotsip81 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 25, 2012
    If you don't a lock screen, go into "Security" then "Lock" and set to off. It will still have the screen you have to swipe to access it, however you won't have to enter and codes or patterns.

7. etotheo

etotheo Newbie
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Canada
    I think that is missing the point. OP would still like the password feature - but only after it has timed-out.

@ OP: Not sure how to do this, I'm fairly new to the SGS2. My old Blackberry had the exact same feature that you noted for your EVO. Would be nice...