1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Power Button Not Working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Reverence, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Reverence

Reverence Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Over the last two weeks my power button hadn't been working too well and seemed to be getting stuck because when I would push it down to turn the screen off it would pop up the power off option menu. Then, last night, the power button decided to completely stop working. Pressing the power button wouldn't do a thing....wouldn't turn on the phone, wouldn't turn off the phone, wouldn't power off the phone, nothing.

The only way I was able to get the phone on to use it was to either do a battery pull and restart the phone, or plug it in/out from the charger to get the screen on so I could use it.

I went to Verizon today and they are sending me out a replacement that I should have within two business days. For the time being I have installed "No Lock" app so I can use the trackpad to wake the phone for the next two days.

Have other people had this issue? Also, I am assuming I will be getting a refurb, which I was kind of hoping that they would be out of Incredibles and would have offered me an Incredible 2.....but who knows, maybe if I'm lucky I'll end up with an Incredible 2 in my mailbox on Friday rather than the original Incredible....a guy can hope lol. Is there anything I should be worried about getting this refurbed replacement phone?

PS: I also read that some people had this issue stated that the battery cover pressed too hard against the power button, causing it not to go down....but even with the battery cover completely OFF, the power button was still unresponsive.

Advertisement

2. absd

absd Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Yes! I have the exact same issue!
    For the past 2-3 weeks, my power button grows less and less responsive. I eve took it back to the store to check it .
    The guy said I should leave the phone there to be examined.
    I wiped the phone and gave it to him. He switched it on, and the power button returned to work like there's no problem...

This worked for a while, but now it not functioning..
    I'll need to find a different way out...

3. absd

absd Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    OUCH!!! I spoke too soon..

The button became totally unresponsive in the past 2-3 days. I used the track-ball to wake the phone up (I have a Nexus One).
    Today I switched it off 'cause I wanted to wipe it again, but it's not switching on ever since - no matter how hard I try....

I'll just add that I, also, bought a new case for the phone a few weeks ago. I also thought that the case is the cause for the problem, but after the whole wipe-makes-the-problem-go-away thing, I was sure it's a software problem.
    I'm not so sure about it anymore..............