1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Power cycling daily?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trollitc, Jan 13, 2010.

1. trollitc

trollitc Active Member

Jan 8, 2010
    IT guy for an ivy league uni
    Does anyone else find themselves having to power cycle their Droid on a daily basis?

I'm still in the honeymoon phase so I do LOTS of stuff on it (add/remove apps, play with stuff, change settings, run lots of apps, etc.) which may have something do to with it.

I find that if I don't power cycle my phone at least once in a 24 hour period, it starts getting very sluggish.

Advertisement

2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    You're basically clearing cache and what-not. There are apps and built-in tools that could do that for you ... but I don't see the harm in a reboot once a day. Do you?

3. trollitc

trollitc Active Member

Jan 8, 2010
    IT guy for an ivy league uni
    Nope - not complaining, just wondering if my usage and habits are causing this or if it's a standard action all Droid users do.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    I think us guys that are toying with apps constantly (installing, testing, playing, fiddling) :eek: can expect to reboot more than your average bear.

5. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

When you say "having to power cycle"...do you mean you have to because it locks up or something stops working right?

I am very cautious about what apps I download and run. My current uptime is 4 days. I probably do a reboot on average every 5-7 days, and that is usually only because I want to, not because it has frozen up or something.

6. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I usually go between 115-240 hours before a reboot of any kind, occasionally it's a battery pull. It never automatically rebooted on me, this is all my choice - it's a Blackberry habit I'm trying to break! The droid has only crashed on me twice since I've had it. Once when I was fast forwarding and rewinding a streaming You Tube video over wifi back and forth, back and forth, over and over. It hard locked. The other was when I slid out the keyboard with the browser open and lots of apps open, and got some sort of ".acore" error. It recovered from the error, but I battery pulled and restarted anyway, just in case. -droidosis-

7. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I turn my phone on/off after every overnight charge. I do this because sometimes there are processes the OS is hanging onto in RAM that only gets cleared if you cycle on/off. This goes for any computer and any OS. Other than that, since these phones usually NEVER get turned off (even while charging, it has to be on), I make sure that the phone stays off for at least 30 minutes each day (usually on my drive to work). Other than that, I usually also do one battery pull a week, just to cover all bases :)

8. sooners2win

sooners2win Member

Jan 18, 2010
    UHhhhhhhhhhh, how do you power cycle?

9. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    I have two batteries for my Droid and alternate between them usually everyday, so in that way I power cycle my Droid usually everyday. I am almost always doing something with my Droid, though, lots of web usage, long phone calls and Tunewiki is almost always on (I use my Droid as a full-blown iPod), so I'm sure I'd have to power cycle anyway. Sometimes I have to because it might hang or do something stupid which a good reboot always solves.