1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Power down issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nyctom21, Dec 8, 2013.

1. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm not able to power off my triumph 100% of the time...it seems to work randomly when I have it connected to my PC ...but it will not, at all, power off when unconnected to my PC...

couple of tidbits here:

I am rooted and I did install a 3rd party overclocking app (which has been removed)..

I remember reading somewhere that overclocking can cause issues, but also remember reading a possible 'command line' fix?

thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If the CPU got "hurt" there's no "fix" (except replacing the CPU, which will cost about as much as replacing the phone).

Is it possible that it's just a bad switch?

3. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    Im not sure if it is an issue w/ the device's power button? does not seems so .I just plugged it into m PC now ad it turned off normally... but when I take it off connection to PC, it won't shut off , I will cycle into a 'restart' mode (once only) ... I thought I read some where there is a possible internal solution....

4. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    when NOT plugged in, and the screen times out, will it wake up reliably with the power switch?

5. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    yes, it wakes up fine when not connected to my laptop ..

6. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    So, in that case I would tend to rule out the power switch.
    Damn, that's a new one on me.

Time to start throwing stuff and see what sticks. ;)

Try fix permissions maybe?

7. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    ok, I'll look into that.... if you come across anything in the meantime, I'm all ears ..thanks!

8. BSydz

BSydz Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    The Mitten
    OK, if you pull the battery and then put it in will it start by itself? Will it turn on after battery pull if you plug in USB? Have you tried a battery pull and pushing the power button a few times and then putting battery back in?

Just a few things I could think of and would try myself. Sounds like it may need to be fully discharged, like a capacitor is staying charged.

Try the battery pull and hit the power button like five to ten times. Just to make sure all energy in the phone is gone. Then put the battery back in and run it through the on off cycle and see what happens.

Good luck!

9. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Ah, that's a good one. I've cured some weird stuff like that from time to time.

10. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    yah, no luck on the battery pulling .....connected to laptop and battery pull, then reinsertion of battery the device will boot up.... not connected to laptop, and battery pull, it will only start when I use the power button on/off switch....

I am wondering if I accidently deleted some type of root file??(I am rooted with permissions) Is that possible? I suppose my last resort is a factory reset?

11. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    The idea is to have the phone not connected to anything, pull battery, hold power down for a few seconds (or push it a few times, as Bsydz says), re-insert battery, power on.

12. BSydz

BSydz Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    The Mitten
    Lol, thangfish ninja'd me. What he said ... plus then power down to see if it will shut down or not. If you changed files in /system, or ran tweaks or scripts that changed files on /system, then a factory reset will not help. The reset doesn't touch /system. You would have to reflash what ever ROM you are on.

By the way what ROM are you using? Do you have a custom recovery? Have you used any tweaks or system manager apps? They can change stuff and not revert if you just uninstall the app.

13. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    @thangfish, yes, I did just as you said... battery pull NOT connected, power button hold, etc ...no luck

@BSydz- I am actually running the factory Virgin Mobile ROM .... this device is my secondary Android device, so really, my only worry, is bricking the device.....I'd really like to have it as a smooth running backup device ... what I am hoping to do is install a custom ROM on this device so I can upgrade it from the installed 2.2.2 android FROYO that it is running now...but with this power down issue, I'm worried that any attempt may not be successful?? you guys would know better : )

14. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert
    None

Sep 17, 2011
  15. nyctom21

nyctom21 Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2013
    thangfish/BSydz-

thanks for your replies to my issue . I appreciate it. And I am happy to report that my Lady Triumph is back running better than ever (although she seems very hungry, so I need to install some apps for her to chew on) .. ANYWHO - I just went ahead and installed CWM v5.0.2.7 and then with great ambition, and a splash of hope and determination, I went ahead and installed custom ROM pa_triumph-1.6a-31JUL2013-132612.zip/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip .. and it worked GREAT!!! everything is running perfectly and no issues whatsoever.....I am amazed at how smoothly running it appears to be compared to the stock VM 2.2.2 FROYO ...what a difference ... thanks again, guy! see you on the next adventure :)