• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Power down, sleep , or hibernate what is better?

Hello,
well first off I am new here to the forum and I wanted to ask a question about powering down my tablet. I purchased a Toshiba excite 10 tablet and use it every day for work I use it all day on and off, when I do not use it after 15 min it "sleeps" and that's ok because I use it so much on and off during the day I know not to turn it off because I would be turning it on and off 15 or more times a day.
But at night when I get home it usually has 70% battery left so I charge it and am wondering if I would be better off to shut it down until the next day? or just leave it on all the time in sleep mode?
I have tried both ways, and in the morning while it sleeps at night I loose about 20% but can charge it back to 100 fairly quickly. If it shut it down its at 100% when I boot it up.
I am more worried about running it in sleep mode not sure if anything can overheat? or is it harder on the tablet to power up and down daily?
I can sure use some good advice on this.... I want to make this tablet last a long time!!
Thanks !! :)

It's the age old question for technology ... there are arguments on both sides and no definitive answer. Personally, I leave my stuff on. I think it's less stressful to the device and it's always ready to use. Others say turn it off and save the energy, but in the end it's going to be up to how one paradigm or the other fits in with your daily use patterns.

Upvote 0
It's the age old question for technology ... there are arguments on both sides and no definitive answer. Personally, I leave my stuff on. I think it's less stressful to the device and it's always ready to use. Others say turn it off and save the energy, but in the end it's going to be up to how one paradigm or the other fits in with your daily use patterns.
yes that's my point is it harder on the tablet to turn it on and off once a day or just leave it on all the time and let it sleep.
I don't know if it gets hot when it sleeps or runs programs when it sleeps and can that burn the tablet out sooner or is it just better to power it down

I use the tablet everyday for work so it's vital that I do it the right way I have everything backed up but I'd still hate to have to buy new tablet sooner because I've been powering it on or off too much I just want what's best for the tablet appreciate all the effort and help

Upvote 0
There is a much greater likelihood of the tablet failing because of an accident (dropping or exposure to liquid) than using it or booting it. It will most likely become outdated and under-powered long before it burns out.

If a component is destined to fail, it will fail regardless of use patterns. My advice is don't worry about it. It won't make a difference one way or the other.

Upvote 0
There is a much greater likelihood of the tablet failing because of an accident (dropping or exposure to liquid) than using it or booting it. It will most likely become outdated and under-powered long before it burns out.

If a component is destined to fail, it will fail regardless of use patterns. My advice is don't worry about it. It won't make a difference one way or the other.

Since tablets are solid state, this adds to reliability. Almost zero chance for mechanical failure, which is usually the hard drive/CD drive/any moving parts on regular computers.

Interestingly, I have a nearly 20 year old 75 Mhz 486 laptop, that boots perfectly into Win95 with an enormous 16 MB of RAM and a 500 MB hard drive. Still perfectly usable, short of having no built in mouse and the battery is shot (duh). Hell, it gets on the internet if you have an Ethernet card!

Point is OP, solid state computer hardware when properly designed is very unlikely to fail. The fact that ancient computers like mine and old game consoles still operate attest to that. You could run it years on end with no issues with the actual electronics. Any failure is due to cheap electronics/bad QA or poor engineering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones