1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Power Off...then I hear "Droid"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bieszczat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bieszczat

Bieszczat Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    I have seen the posts about the reboot problem, I have not had that exact problem. However, recently I have powered off the phone at night to then hear about 15 minutes later "Droid" and the phone turned itself back on???

Tested several times over the last couple of days during the day and it does not happen all the time, but occasionally. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    The only time I had that happen was when I was at a customer site, and their building didn't get cell phone reception. I turned the phone off so it wouldn't continually search for a signal, and a few minutes later, I'd hear "DROOOOOOID" from my purse. I'd turn it off, and a few minutes later I'd hear it again. I finally pulled the battery out.

That's the only time I've had it happen to me, though, so I wonder if even when it's off, if it tries to find a signal and restarts while trying.

3. BoomerM3

BoomerM3 Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011

This has been happening to me almost since day one. Almost every time I power the phone off, it re-starts within 15 minutes. There is a long thread on another board about this.

Unfortunately, no one has ever suggested a solution.

4. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    IIRC it has something to do with the fact that when you phone powers "off" it isn't really powering off properly. Some phones, for whatever reason, will "panic" during the power off state, and trigger it's own system reboot, ignoring the user's power off command.

This is a "fix" you can try, from now on, once the phone is off (or what you THINK is off), take the battery out, hold the power button for a few seconds, then put the battery in. This should, in theory, stop the reboot process that the phone had already started.

I'm not sure why exactly the phone does it, it just happens.

Luckily I haven't had to experience this.