• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power Port already broken on HTC EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a little over two weeks of use the charger power port is already broken. Many of you probably are familiar with this problem on laptops and I know motorola phones had this problem.

The phone will charge but you have to jiggle it around until it connects.

Not very impressive.

Other users are complaining about the same thing already, beware!
EVO charging port - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Same thing happened to my phone. I am taking it to the Sprint store this afternoon to see what they say. They should give me a new phone on the spot, but I am sure I will encounter some BS. Has anybody tried to return/exchange for this problem?

Also, just to be sure, even though the phone was purchased through Best Buy, we are still covered through Sprint and can get service at Sprint Stores, correct?

Thanks,

Doug

Upvote 0
This exact same thing happen to me yesterday. I have had the phone for about two weeks or so and at one point it was charging then it would stop then start again. I took the phone to sprint, they took it apart and said the port where you charge the phone is broken and we "CANT" fix it. I asked if they can replace the phone, they said "NO" this is physical damage. I spent over 6 hours "including not going back to work on my lunch hour" talking to sprint retail store, HTC manufacture, sprint customer service hot line. No one can help me, they want me to pay 100$ for the phone to be replaced. This is ridiculous, I also spoke with htc manufacture repair department and they mentioned they have not been trained yet to fix the new EVO phone, from what the rep said they will be trained on the new evo in a couple of weeks. I'm glad I am no the only one who has had this problem. This kind of stuff does not sit well with me at all, to pay for a 500$ phone and get treated this way is horrible on sprints part. The customer service of the sprint store made it seem that I am some type of child that sits there and plays with the charging port often to make it break. I literally was told " I been doing this for 5 years of my experience and I have never seen something like this, YOU had to break this." Basically making me feel, they were not going to try anything to resolve this issue and to go on my way.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is to take it to another repair center. Tell them that you did not do anything to the phone, insist that the port never acted right. If that does not work, take it to the manager. After that take it to the bbb and rma it to htc. Do not ask for the repair center, just say it will not charge and sprint will not fix it. Get an rma number and send it in.

HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - Repair Information

Call them and tell them they have to honor the warranty. If they tell you to go to sprint, tell that that you want to do a warranty repair. If they insist on you returning it to sprint, get a contact number of the person, and have sprint talk to them.

It is replaceable under warranty. Just be nice.

OP, why are you always complaining about htc repair? You did not create two accounts to repost what has been deleted have you? Because that would be against forums rules.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is to take it to another repair center. Tell them that you did not do anything to the phone, insist that the port never acted right. If that does not work, take it to the manager. After that take it to the bbb and rma it to htc.

OP, why are you always complaining about htc repair? You did not create two accounts to repost what has been deleted have you? Because that would be against forums rules.
The post was moved to another forum, not deleted, and your information is wrong too.

Fact #2 Other users are complaining about the same thing already, beware!

Upvote 0
Hey Noob, the post was moved to another forum, not deleted, and your information is wrong too.

First name calling is not good, second, you only have 2 post on this website. Which means the first post was deleted, not moved.

Thirdly, the outside link is worded exactely has you have worded, which, means.

1.) you are reposting a deleted post, which is against the rules.
2.) You are citing yourself has proof of your problem, twice.
3.) Now matter what you say, htc will do a warranty rma on a phone, I just called them.

Upvote 0
After a little over two weeks of use the charger power port is already broken. Many of you probably are familiar with this problem on laptops and I know motorola phones had this problem.

The phone will charge but you have to jiggle it around until it connects.

Not very impressive.

UPDATE:
Other users are complaining about the same thing already, beware!

HTC will not take the phone back for repair.
http://mike-biddle.blogspot.com/2010/06/htc-will-not-replace-or-repair-sprint.html

Ive seen my phone stop and start charging. I thought it was part of the slow charge process because I've been USB charging. Can you please tell me if you were wall charging? I want to know if I should anticipate the same problem. thanks

Upvote 0
This exact same thing happen to me yesterday. I have had the phone for about two weeks or so and at one point it was charging then it would stop then start again. I took the phone to sprint, they took it apart and said the port where you charge the phone is broken and we "CANT" fix it. I asked if they can replace the phone, they said "NO" this is physical damage. I spent over 6 hours "including not going back to work on my lunch hour" talking to sprint retail store, HTC manufacture, sprint customer service hot line. No one can help me, they want me to pay 100$ for the phone to be replaced. This is ridiculous, I also spoke with htc manufacture repair department and they mentioned they have not been trained yet to fix the new EVO phone, from what the rep said they will be trained on the new evo in a couple of weeks. I'm glad I am no the only one who has had this problem. This kind of stuff does not sit well with me at all, to pay for a 500$ phone and get treated this way is horrible on sprints part. The customer service of the sprint store made it seem that I am some type of child that sits there and plays with the charging port often to make it break. I literally was told " I been doing this for 5 years of my experience and I have never seen something like this, YOU had to break this." Basically making me feel, they were not going to try anything to resolve this issue and to go on my way.

If you are inside the 30 days you are gauranteed at least full refund. tell them they will have to do a FULL refund, if they do not replace it. I also suggest you find a better sprint store to do your business with in the future. sounds like that one sux!

Upvote 0
1.) you are reposting a deleted post, which is against the rules..
Wrong, thread was moved, not deleted. I have THREE POSTS, and they are all three here lol.
3.) Now matter what you say, htc will do a warranty rma on a phone, I just called them

I have a recorded phone conversation posted contradicting this, you have nothing but words you typed.

Some people just hate being wrong. Take more time reading and less posting. You might learn something new.

Upvote 0
Wrong, thread was moved, not deleted. I have THREE POSTS, and they are all three here lol.
You already posted this, converted death and I already told you go back your hole, iphone boy.

Let me do some searching really quick. Yep, posted was deleted. We already been around this tree. You are re-posting on a deleted topic.

Congratz on calling your wife to make up a phone call too.

Upvote 0
I thought I had this problem as well, but it turned out to be the cord not the phone. How I found out was using my wifes charger. When using it one could all buut swing it around in circles & it keep charging mine however if you took a deep breath it would quit. There are no replacement cords according to Sprint but any data cord will do (with same fittings obviously). My plantronics voyager pro has that same size so thats what I use now.

Upvote 0
2 of the 4 EVO's I bought now have loose charging ports. So loose, it's difficult to get the phone to take a charge.

And it's not the charger. When you plug it in, the port wiggles around.

I will be heading to our local Sprint repair center tomorrow.

Edit: Here is a quick video. Sorry for having to "zoom" in to plug in the cable. I only have one hand. Filmed with 3rd EVO. You can hear it click into the faulty one. Just won't charge. :\

YouTube - Sprint HTC EVO 4G USB Charging Port Problem

LoL dammit. Previous filming, I hit the power switch to show you it was on. Forgot to that time. heh, but anyway, yeah, it's busted. And the one on the right is heading that way, though showed no signs during filming, but did yesterday.

Upvote 0
Well, I've tried 5 USB chords (3 EVO's and 2 other brands) on my wife's and no joy.

She can get it to charge if she gets the chord just right.

I've been too lazy to take it in... that and wanted to wait and see if more people had same issue.

maybe buy a second battery and external charger...I purchased the Seidio battery and charger and just swap batteries every morning...

Upvote 0
maybe buy a second battery and external charger...I purchased the Seidio battery and charger and just swap batteries every morning...

Good idea if Sprint will want to charge $100. Personally, I think it's a manufacture defect. It broke around the 3 week mark.. when she was out of State.. didn't mention until she got back and was past the 30 days.

I may take it in tomorrow, though think she is heading to a friends.. so might be Monday.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones