• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Power stip icons

Shofar

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2010
I'm new to Andriod and in a place with poor WiFi and poor cell coverage but was able to download my first program yesterday "Olive Tree" and it works.

I don't understand all the icons on the power strip I put on my home page:
From left to right:

WiFi, Bluetooth, X.Y, Screen Brightness

Can some one explain X and Y?

Screen is set to medium.
I turn WiFi and Bluetooth on and off as needed. Is that good power mangegment?

At a conference so don't get to play much most of the day.

Also using the built in weather widget, not much connectivity sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Thanks

You mean the built in grey android one with five settings?

X would be GPS, Y would be automatic sync, the first having no real need to be on unless you are navigating since the phone can use phone towers for your location within a few hundres meters, and the second being a personal choice.

Yeah Just leave bluetooth and wifi off if you do not need them.

As for the screen, set it to whatever works best for you; or leave it on auto.

Reactions: Shofar
Upvote 0
Is auto sync and mobile internet the same thing?

As I am not in my home country and don't have PAYG 3G sim yet, I have mobile data off in settings.

I "Y" the auto sync the same thing?

Also when I set up my ISP which requires authenitification, the Desire program tells me my server does not have certification and sends me back to the new account page until I untick "requires authentification" which keeps me from getting email on the phone.

Any suggestions to this problem?

With thanks for your help and patience

Upvote 0
Auto sync means that emails are pushed to you in real time, calender syncs with google calendar facebook updates are checked for every once in a while - that sort of thing.

Which programs should auto sync can be set in Settings -> Accounts and synchronization.

They require mobile data, but they are not the same.

Which ISP do you use/what sort of certification are we talking about?

Upvote 0
Auto sync means that emails are pushed to you in real time, calender syncs with google calendar facebook updates are checked for every once in a while - that sort of thing.

Which ISP do you use/what sort of certification are we talking about?

Thanks for the explanation of auto syc.
My ISP is an Israeli company.
Now I can't even find my POP3 account under Accounts & Sync though Sense has made me a page for that account that never works.
It's as if this pop3 is a phantom account.
On the add new account page it doesn't even give me a pop3 options. There is Exchange, flicker, gmail, facebook and twitter.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones