1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Power Strip - not able to access correctly

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Pinmac1, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

I have bought Power Strip as it looks very useful. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to install correctly. As I have Virtual Task Switcher on the long-press Search key I would like to start it from a double-click on the Home key or, if necessary, a single click or long-press. The guide when you install it shows an example where you tell the program which home application you prefer and shows a choice between Launcher and Power Strip. When I click "Set preferred home" I only see HTC Sense and Power Strip is nowhere to be seen. At the end of the guide it says to long press the Search key or the home key to start, but if I do they just perform their normal function. The only way I can call up PS is to go to my Apps tray which defeats the point of PS. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but get the same result. Please can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know of a simple guide to setting up PS?

Many thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Pinmac1

Hmmm - don't know whether I've made things better or worse! The developer's website doesn't seem to have contact details but there is a link to a blog. It says there that people have been having trouble since updating to 2.2. The suggested fix is:

1. Press home key and let the default home start
    2. Long press search key to launch the Power Strip (or use the launcher in you application drawer to start it)
    3. Invoke the context menu (click the context button, or long press somewhere outside the strip, or choose "context" in the menu)
    4. Select "Application info"
    5. Click the "clear default" button on the application info page of your default home app
    6. Press the home key again, and you should have the chooser available

This worked for me so that I had the chooser available and so I chose Power Strip. One press on the Home button now gives me Power Strip but, unfortunately, I now can't get the Home screen. I was expecting a second press to take me to the Home Screen but it doesn't. I have tried Preferences>One Home Key Click To Power Click. It says that, if ticked Power Strip will come up on one click of the Home Button and, if unticked, it's one click for your preferred home screen and double-click for Power Strip. In practice, it makes no difference whether clicked or not.

It's frustrating that I can't contact the developer. I don't want to start setting this up until I have sorted this out as I don't want to be without pretty instant access to the main Home Screen.

Grateful for any help.

3. Pinmac1

Forgot to say that I'm on an HTC Desire running 2.2.