• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PowerAMP audio player !!

t0ph0id

Dec 18, 2009
Bristol, UK
PowerAmp is a brilliant new audio app that's still in beta

poweramp.png

Hi guys,
thanks for the beta-testing!

I'm the developer of the PowerAMP.
The version you tried is pretty early beta version, released only to one of the internal russian sites for some early limited core functionality testing . The next beta will include all the bells and whistles you mentioned here (like various sortings, better headsets support etc).

Early beta is important for devs as it shows how the app will work in general in so fragmented Android population.

The gapless playing and other audio processing related features are planned for 2.0 version, but not for the first release. Though, delay between the tracks introduced by player itself is minimal (esp. compared to other players).

Support:
-MP3, MP4/M4A,loseless ALAC,FLAC, OGG, WAV, TTA, WMA
-Has own codecs
-Widget
-Choose music from SD card
-Tegs, lyrics
-Skins, 2 in beta version
-Fast scan of files ( in 1 second 1000files, depends on phone speed)
-EQ

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5524056/PowerAMP_1.0_build_68.apk

Here's a great video demonstration made by rollercoastervj

I don't know if this is where we need to post Beta User Input, but WOW! This app is amazing. It is EXACTLY what I've been looking for ever since I bought my HTC Incredible!! This app developer is my new bestest friend. :)

Other app developers could take a lesson from this app. The controls in it are super responsive, the EQ is a thing of beauty and it appears to have gapless playback, also a plus. I also appreciate that the app doesn't force playlists down my throat as the only way to play music. So far this app impresses me as quite polished. I am curious as to the price once it's out of beta.

Upvote 0
PowerAMP has some serious potential. The EQ is excellent and buttons very responsive. Also the playback is nearly gapless (I tried "The Wall" and there were slight glitches between songs). It's about time someone pulled that off on an Android phone.

I know it's a beta but there are some issues. I imagine they will get ironed out over time.

First, unplugging the headphones universally stops playback in every app except PowerAMP. Instead the playback changes to the speaker. When getting interrupted by someone, pulling the headphones is the fastest way to stop the tunes so you can hear them. Admittedly PowerAMP is attempting to do what MortPlayer does where you can plug the headphones back in and resume playing (at least there is a menu option for that). It's a brilliant feature and I hope they get it working.

Second, when switching to "Library" view, sorting on artist then selecting an artist universally goes to the artists albums (usually sorted alphabetically though I would prefer by album date) for every player app BUT PowerAMP. Instead PowerAMP goes to a full list of the artist's songs. I listen to albums as the artist intended the music to be heard so this is baffling to me. Maybe it's optimized for the younger folk who just listen to singles.

I just discovered MortPlayer last week, yesterday WinAmp came out, now PowerAMP. It's becoming a crowded field but that's better for all of us because the competition will spark innovation.

Upvote 0
Am I missing something here but is there any way to play an album in track number order? I have a lot of mix compilation albums and they aren't really listenable to unless they are in the righ track order. PowerAmp seems to just put them in alphabetic order with no other option. The track number is there in the info screen.

Edit : seems to work fine in 'folders' mode but not in library

Upvote 0
Not a fan of the widget, and it isn't too reliable with album art. Aside from that, it's pretty good.

Regarding the album art, I found it worked perfectly if you used the library function but if it worked through folders then it missed or got most wrong. I'm wondering whether one picks up from tags (all my art in done this way) and the folders tries to pick up separate files?

Upvote 0
Regarding the album art, I found it worked perfectly if you used the library function but if it worked through folders then it missed or got most wrong. I'm wondering whether one picks up from tags (all my art in done this way) and the folders tries to pick up separate files?

I too found that my album art was only picked up using the library function for some mp3 files. However due to the froyo bug of showing wma files as 'unknown artist' I wanted to use the folders instead.

I used this app to add the album art and it now works perfectly in folders
mp3 cover fetcher - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
New version out in the last few hours. get it from here :

Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe

What's New:
Changes:
- album art downloader
- lock screen "widget"
- two new widgets: 4x1 and 4x2, both with album art
- new White Plastic skin
- ape and wv support
- genres
- option to pause when headset is disconnected
- long click headset button for next track
- added "send errors to developer"
- Artist list now navigates to Artist Albums
- option to disable album art animation
- even better cpu consumption when PowerAMP is in background
- eq presets changed a bit, reduced eq thumb step
- track+title/title/track sorting for album/artist songs
- option to use Library as primary list
- better track seeking near 0:00
- reset track playing position to 0:00 by clicking elasped time
- disabled MusicFolders creation by default
- samsung galaxy s 2.2 sd card mount point support

Fixes:
- bug: accidental bass changes when volume knob is rotated
- bug: artist/album add to playlist action
- bug: FC on 2.1 for set as ringtone action
- better support for system library album art
- files from root music folders are now scanned/added to db
- bug: long tracks are not properly seeked
- bug: flac bitrate is wrong
- no "scan finished" toast anymore, if PowerAMP is not active
- bug: tag can\'t be edited for flac and some other formats
- bug: some mp3s have background noise
- bug: when PowerAMP is started from 3rd party file manager, tags are not read
- fixed issue with help not readable if no internet connection
and other minor bug and stability fixes

It'scertainly solved my issue of albums being played in alpha rather than track order. I can now listen to my mix albums!

Heard it being talked of as an RC candidate so maybe the market version isn't far off. Apparently it'll be paid but I think this one is worth it

Upvote 0
Tried the PowerAMP. Great UI, especially the ease of access to features really stand out to me.

I have been using DoubleTwist on my Macbook to sync music and playlists. The playlists show up correctly on the DoubleTwist player on my Desire. But I've noticed few playlists are incorrect on the PowerAmp. What do you recommend I use to sync music/playlists between my MacBook and phone?

Again, well done on developing a nice player.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones