• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Powermat for Eris?

Honestly, i think the whole thing is dumb as hell. I mean why do you want to drop $99 on something like that (plus add on accessories??) when you can simply just plug it into a wall? I know it looks a lot cooler but is it worth that much more? Do you have a lot of items you need to charge at once?

Upvote 0
My wife bought me a Powermat for Christmas. It's a pretty cool device; I have a sled for my Nano, plus the generic charger square. I use it when I am in that part of the house and I have something that needs to be recharged.

It's news to me that they have something specific for the Eris, though. In fact, my guess is that they would never have anything for the Eris, as it doesn't/didn't sell nearly that many units to make a specific battery or sled worthwhile. I'd think that they would do something for the Droid before any other Android phone.

Do you have a link for that Eris-specific option?

Upvote 0
I find it ironic that the powermat has a generic charger with multiple ends so that you can plug in any device. Isn't the whole purpose of the mat to NOT plug things in??

My guess is that the Powermat people are strongly hoping that the device is so popular that they can justify making custom charging systems for any device out there, or that new devices will be built by manufacturers so that they have Powermat support built in as an option. You have to get to that point, though, and it's nice to have a single charging device that has swappable ends to handle any old device out there without having a bunch of wall warts plugged in.

Whatever, if my wife had not bought me one, I wouldn't go buy one myself, but it is nice for what it does.

A lukewarm endorsement, for sure.

Upvote 0
I think its a great idea if integrated into the device like the palm pre. Who wouldn't want to just throw their phone down instead of messing with the cord? Even nicer would be a laptop without the cords. But having an awkward case, or even worse a block with a cord defeats the purpose. the price is too rich for my blood too, I just ordered a dock off of eBay for $16 should work even better imo.

Upvote 0
I think its a great idea if integrated into the device like the palm pre. Who wouldn't want to just throw their phone down instead of messing with the cord? Even nicer would be a laptop without the cords. But having an awkward case, or even worse a block with a cord defeats the purpose. the price is too rich for my blood too, I just ordered a dock off of eBay for $16 should work even better imo.

You still need to plug in the powermat itself...so instead of having the plug into the computer, you have the plug into the powermat under the computer...

Your idea could be AMAZING if it was implemented into a desk like it is in this kitchen counter...
YouTube - CES 2009 - Kitchen of the Future From Powermat
If there was a powermat that could charge your phone/laptop/whatever on a desk that would be sweet!

Upvote 0
You still need to plug in the powermat itself...so instead of having the plug into the computer, you have the plug into the powermat under the computer...
Your idea could be AMAZING if it was implemented into a desk like it is in this kitchen counter...
If there was a powermat that could charge your phone/laptop/whatever on a desk that would be sweet!

I'm sure they will come up with that one next :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones