1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Powerpoint On Android

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by whatisnucca, Jan 25, 2014.

1. whatisnucca

whatisnucca Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2014
    Greetings all! After four hours (over 2 days) of internet searching and little progress, I come seeking guidance. I am a chiropractor and I have several TV's in my office looping powerpoint presentations. I also have a separate TV where I do an orientation presentation complete with using a Kennsington "clicker" to advance through bullet points.

Currently the TV's run Powerpoint presentations from old windows computers. The computers are dying and I would like to replace them with tablets. I have picked up several inexpensive tablets ("VitalASC") which are running Android 4.0.4. The tablets have a mini HDMI out to the TV and a mini USB plug.

After downloading multiple apps, I have found the best program to be OfficeSuite by mobisystems. OfficeSuite runs .ppt files perfectly and I can use the "autoadvance" feature to run my testimonials slideshow on the TV's.

The problem arises when I try to run my "orientation" slideshow with a clicker. If I run the Orientation ppt through OfficeSuite, and tap on the screen, then my bullet points appear sequentially and I can advance slides. However, when I use a USB adapter to plug in the Kensington Clicker, .... the program only recognizes the "click" to mean.... go to the next slide. It completely bypasses all of my bullet points. It is NOT possible/convenient for me to be holding the tablet, attached by a 10' HDMI to the monitor... and "tap" my way through the 30 minute presentation.

I have tried almost EVERY app on GooglePlay and Amazon with every possible save format for the powerpoint (ppt, pptx, odp). The layout usually gets botched or my custom image/object insertions just show up as hollow rectangles.only OfficeSuite gets it right and displays and advances the orientation perfectly... but the clicker messes it up.

I have looked for "remote control" services for the tablet, but they all seem to have the server side being a Windows or Mac install.

The only remote app that I have found, designed to use an android smartphone to control and android tablet is RemoDroid. It works ok, but the interface gets a little tricky if I accidentaly tap my phone and need to go back a bulletpoint or slide.

I also need to run this scenario in two different locations, on two different tablets... from one smartphone. RemoDroid does save some settings, but now I'm needing to make sure I get my ports and IP addresses correct.....

I know enough computer lingo to get concepts and set up networks, but when it comes to rooting/programming my software I get migraines. :thinking:

What I "want" is either
    1) an app that displays and runs powerpoints like I see on my Windows 7 computer and can advance through bullet points... from the VitalASC tablet...WITH A CLICKER
    2) or an app that will let me use my Incredible 4G to control the VitalASC tablet so I can "tap" my way easily through OfficeSuite without need of a separate clicker

Thank you for your considerations... I attempted to make it as concise as possible.

sincerely,

jamie

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums. I moved this thread to the forum where applications are discussed.

You are using the app that I use.

I supported a General in the Air Force you got a lot of briefings day in and day out and he required that each slide have no more than three bullets. It sounded a little absurd. It molded his entire organization into giving briefings to him his way.

I still adhere to that approach.

One solution for you would be to turn a slide with three bullets into three slides. The first has one bullet. The second has two. The third has three.

As you advanced the new bullets would appear each time you clicked to a new slide.

They should be perfectly registered so there would be no "jumpiness".

... Thom

whatisnucca likes this.
  3. whatisnucca

whatisnucca Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2014
    Thank you. That was not an approach I had thought of. Could be very time consuming as some of my slides have over 30"clicks" for different sequential objects that enter.... but entirely "doable" if I committed to it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Pretty simple actually. Start with the last slide. Make multiple copies of it. Then in reverse order start deleting ... one bullet ... then two ... then thee ...

... Thom

5. oleb84

oleb84 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Male
    London
    I'm interested in finding a more suitable solution to this. The OP has the same requirements as I do. Surely there its a proper answer to this other than redoing a presentation?

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    It sounds like the issue may be with your hardware "clicker" rather than the software/presentation itself, since tapping on the screen makes the presentation advance in the way you desire. You may want to look for a Bluetooth mouse instead. USB OTG ("on-the-go", the functionality that enables the tablet to function as a USB host) can still be a bit buggy sometimes, so a standard Bluetooth mouse should get around that difficulty. A mouse should then be able to emulate the same screen taps that work properly, and I bet you'll be able to use your current presentation without having to change it.