1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support PPTP VPN broken?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ncleeuw, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ncleeuw

ncleeuw Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello All, I just got a Droid X2 on Verizon, and have been attempting to use the VPN functionality. I set up a secure PPTP VPN, and it connects. That is where things stop working however. The connection seems to work very briefly (as in a couple of seconds), but then all data stops. This seems to be the case on 3G as well as wifi. I have also tried setting up the DNS server manually, but this did not help either. The whole time, the connection still shows as active until I manually disconnect. I can set up the same VPN connection on multiple computers, and no issue. Searching the net, I find some references to similar situations, but no solutions. Is the Android PPTP functionality broken? Is there an expected solution?

Advertisement

2. billbunton

billbunton Member
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Austin, TX
    Doesn't work for me, and doing a search for PPTP shows it doesn't seem to work for a lot of people. I've tried it on all of my android phones, doesn't work on any. I set it up with no problem on my iPhone.

ncleeuw likes this.
  3. ncleeuw

ncleeuw Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    I appreciate the feedback. Digging I found the following that shows this has been an issue for quite a while, but it does not seem the powers that be are too interested in fixing the issue.

Issue 4706 - android - Droid phone PPTP VPN dying after a short while. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

So, I have been looking at how to actually get this to work beyond the integrated VPN client. I see mentions of a program called OpenVPN that appears to do the trick if done right, but requires rooting the device. I honestly am not too thrilled with this, but willing to try if I can get VPN to work AND I can backup to a default state if needed. Since I have a Droid X2 with a locked bootloader, I am not sure if this is possible.

Clockworkmod appears to be the program of choice to backup my environment, but requires an unlocked bootloader I think.

I am new to all of this, coming from a Blackberry, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4. lvdave

lvdave Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Retired Web-developer/Admin
    Las Vegas NV
    I have a Samsung Intercept on VM with Froyo. As soon as I have the time to spend rooting the phone and getting the OpenVPN client on I will, but for the time being, I enabled the RRAS piece on one of my internet-facing Windows servers to allow me to do ssh/rdp-based admin from the phone. The PPTP vpn I enabled works perfectly from my Win7 laptop and an Ubuntu linux laptop, but all I get with the Android is "Attention: Server hung up. it is possible that you are behind a firewall that prevents you from connecting to the server. Do you want to try again?"... The interesting part is that if I do a netstat on the remote access server (using the VERY pptp vpn from my laptop.. the same VPN I'm trying to connect to via the android) I see a pptp established connection from 66-XX-XX-XX.pools.spcsdns.net (Sprint/VM connection) address that my android is currently using (via the ifconfig android app).. I'd say the problem is on the Android side in this case.. From what I've read, if you turn off encryption, it does connect, but what good is a vpn w/o encryption.... Unless somebody has some ideas, I guess I gotta find time to root this phone and set up OpenVPN. Secure mobile access was the primary reason I bought the phone...

5. jay.johnson

jay.johnson Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    Phase I (authentication) is BROKEN; Droid OS Von has only worked for me when connecting to a CISCO RV220w small business router via onboard PPTP server. However, same device "will not" connect to a plain old microsoft pptp Vpn session (????) WTF, ANDROID??? It appears comments are "littered across the internet about this epic fail (no Vpn functionality) for almost 2yrs; it's a good move on your part if the intent is to help apple sell more iPhones :)

6. lvdave

lvdave Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Retired Web-developer/Admin
    Las Vegas NV
    OP here: Just an update.. Got the phone rooted, installed Openvpn and its gui. OpenVpn connects, authenticates.. alls great EXCEPT I've googled until my fingers are numb trying to find a tun.ko FOR a Samsung Intercept. Plenty of sources for various tun.ko's which are *claimed* by the poster that they're for a Samsung Intercept.. Except that they're not.. insmod them, then dmesg, and they show either a "ARMv7 s/b ARMv6" or "ARMv6 preempt s/b ARMv6"... Others have suggested using the tun.ko out of Cyanomod 6, which they say is based on Froyo, and is for an ARMv6 processor. No joy there.. Anybody have any ideas??? HELP!!