• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PPTP VPN into WinServer2003 works from Android, not windows??

:thinking::thinking:
Ok, here is a weird issue. I know this may not exactly be the right place to ask, but maybe it is a start. I apologize is this is too off topic. Here's the deal.
I have a Windows 2003 server which is an active directory domain controller and dns server. This server is behind a Zyxel ZyWall 5 firewall which is then behind an Edgewater firewall before the cable modem.
On the server, I have set up an incoming network connection to be a PPTP VPN endpoint. This works great from inside the LAN, I can make a VPN connection from a windows machine or from my T-mobile G2 (over WiFi in the LAN) just fine.

Ok, the cable modem has an external IP address which I know I can reach because my port forwarded, firewall-rule-allowed Remote Desktop gets through to this server normally. I have set up rules and port forwards in both firewalls for VPN as follows:

**Edgewater firewall has a checkbox for PPTP Passthrough and IP address field to pass through to. I set that field to the ZyWall's external address 10.10.9.xxx (which in within the Edgewater's LAN DHCP range)
**Edgewater firewall has a port-forwarding rule sending traffic from ANY on port 1723 allowed/permitted to the IP address of the outside of the Zyxel (same 10.10.9.xxx) at port 1723.

** ZyWall firewall (external address of 10.10.9.xxx) has port forward set to send ANY on port 1723 to the IP address of the 2003 server on its LAN (192.168.110.xxx)
** ZyWall firewall has port-fowarding rule sending traffic from ANY on port 1723 allowed/permitted to IP address of 2003 server on its LAN at port 1793

This whole setup works just fine when I establish a VPN connection using my G2 from on the WiFi (inside on the LAN) as well as with WiFi disabled, forcing it to use my cellular connection/data plan (forcing the connection to come in from outside the LAN). I can establish the VPN connection and it completes the connection and authenticates normally.
HOWEVER, when I try the same thing using a windows machine (or a Mac) it will not authenticate and get me connected. I think it may actually be getting to the 2003 server, but it seems to be failing the authentication. I using the same username/password on the G2 as on the windows machine. I am completely baffled as to why I can get in with Android but not with windows (neither Vista, XP nor 7 or macbook).
Any clues anyone? Or ideas where else I can look for help?

Thank you for any help you can give!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones