• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pre-school/Pre-K games/apps

BiggusDiccus

Dec 10, 2009
Can any of you parents of 3-5 year olds out there let me know if you have found any games or apps that are educational or at least fun for kids in this age group? I have several games on my itouch but can't seem to find them for the droid. The droid serach engine does not seen to work as well as itunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My boys (3 & 6) are big into starwars, so The Shwartz is their favorite. Only let them play this one while tucking them in for bed at night... where a drop will either land on them or the blankets (of course, I always remind them to "hold on tight so you don't drop it!")

My six year old also likes Robo Defense... It was tough (read: frustratingly difficult) at first, but I've been playing for a bit now and have most towers upgraded to almost 200% damage and reload. Now he can play level 0 and not worry about loosing as the rocket towers are basically one-shot-one-kill for most baddies. Abduction is another one he likes.

3yr old also likes "Poke A Mole" .. and "Zebra Paint". "Toddler Lock" isn't bad either.

Upvote 0
hey, cool post edit..

how long did it take you to think about that one?

I know you are but what am I.

<sigh>

anyway... back on topic: For those of you ignorant, neglectful parents who DO play with your kids on your phone, Lucid is another good game for kids. Probably to difficult for the 3yr old, but the 6yr old would probably like it.

Also, Sonorox is a fun music making app. It's basically a sequencer, where you put dots on the screen, and there's a line that sweeps across the screen, making a sound when it hits the dot. Yellow dots are 'piano' sounds, red dots are drums, etc.

Upvote 0
Wow...I just got back from lunch and was very excited to see how many replies my post had received in just an hour...then I read the replies...
Thank you to those of you that took the time to post helpful information.
To BuhByeEris...I don't know who I feel more sorry for...you or your kids. And don't bother replying to this BBE, since I will not waste my time with you.
Anyway...
My 5 year old LOVES star wars, thanks for the advice, anything else you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Some very Good suggestions ladies and gentleman. I have 4 nieces and 1 nephew so these apps will come in very useful :)

Everyones allowed to express their opinion but Let's keep this thread nice and on-topic thank you ........ if their are any more suggestions I'd love to hear. Barbie , family guy & Madagascar puzzles are a few suggestions.

Upvote 0
There is no reason a three to five year old should ever touch a cell phone, ever.

Educate your kids through something educating, or perhaps teach them a little something yourself, if you can.

Maybe the OP wants to have something for their kid to do while they're out running errands or something, as opposed to just being bored and having to follow behind mommy or daddy. Wouldn't that be a decent reason?

PS: No reason ever?

Upvote 0
My daughter loved this little iPhone app a friend had where you touch the picture of the animal and then it tells you what the animal's name is and makes a sound. There are computer programs that do the same thing, but I'd rather have a "game" like this on a portable device rather than a stationary one.

As far as using it to babysit my child, no thank you. As busy as it gets with a 2-year-old daughter that's up till 10 every night, we still find plenty of time to do things like draw on her white board, make coffee for the next morning, and play with our cat. I realize that this post isn't about me, my child, or my lifestyle, but I can see it both ways. I am a technology professional who attempts to include the positive aspects of technology into his and his family's life. However, I also want my daughter to enjoy the natural things in her environment and to respect the outdoors, animals, and people.

Tangents aside, I appreciate everyone who gave an earnest answer. This is an awesome phone with some great features, and if I can use it in part to enrich my time with my daughter, perhaps in a doctor's waiting room or while taking a break in the park to eat lunch, then I am all for it.

John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones