1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Precendent Overheating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BoomerTC, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BoomerTC

BoomerTC Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    This is my first post on this forum, and as a noobie I want to thank you all for the information here.

I got my ST Precendent about 2 weeks ago and was able to Root it, try some PRL's (though reception still sucks) and install Barnacle Tethering on it which works GREAT. But I have a couple of problems:

The other day when running the tether for about 4 hrs, the phone got pretty warm (also gets hot running google navigation). After this extended period the phone ran out of power. So I plugged it in to recharge. It recharged fine but when I unplugged the phone it keeps beeping (kerplunk) as if I am plugging and unplugging it.

I have to put the phone on silent mode (not vibrate because it keeps vibrating) so as not to drive me crazy. But then I can't hear it ring.

I'm thinking it is hardware related and will probably bring it back to Walmart as defective, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions first and also if there is anyway to minimize the overheating?

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello and welcome to Android Forums, BoomerTC. :)

I snagged your thread and moved it for you to the All Things Root sub-forum of Precedent because your stated issues could be root related.

But you could be right, the whole thing just may be due to defective hardware, but first:

If I were you I'd remove the battery and let it sit for a minute or so, then replace it and boot up, noting whether or not the issues are remedied.

If not, a good next step is to go into the application manager and remove cache and data for any apps related to tethering, etc, then reboot the device again.

Others with that device rooted will chime in. ;)

Meanwhile, I'd also like to invite you to have a look in our Andoid Carriers forum:

Android Carriers - Android Forums

Select the carrier you're with, and then please have a look at the sticky at the top which has carrier terms of service info. I'm pointing that out so that we don't end up discussing violations of those terms of service regarding tethering/wifi hotspot solutions. Some carriers require a special data plan for that stuff, and Android Forums tries to shy away from allowing advice on how to break those agreements. ;)

3. sillyname

sillyname Member
    None

Nov 7, 2011
    Sys/Net Admin
    Mine gets really warm if I'm using it heavily while it is charging.