• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Predict the 5 AT&T Android Phone

1) Backflip
2) Aero

and nothing else..just some excuses that "we ran into issues trying to ready the phones for our network..."ie. locking them down and cramming them with bloatware.

How long have they had the advertisements for the Aero up on their site, without even giving a launch date. I can not imagine that they are going to be able to get 3 more phones out in 1.5 months...would love to be proven wrong though.

Upvote 0
1) Backflop
2) Aero

and nothing else..just some excuses that "we ran into issues trying to ready the phones for our network..."ie. locking them down and cramming them with bloatware.

How long have they had the advertisements for the Aero up on their site, without even giving a launch date. I can not imagine that they are going to be able to get 3 more phones out in 1.5 months...would love to be proven wrong though.

Fixed and agreed.

Ynomrah how's that Android 1.5 and old hardware that about matches my two year old fuze working out for you?

Upvote 0
Compared to other Android phones, it is low end.

Compared to multimedia or messaging phones, it is very good. I have not come across any other touchscreen which has a QWERTY keyboard with raised keys (not a fan of the weird looking design but can't think of any other way for them to incorporate that). MOTOBLUR is good for social networking/multimedia (not very good for business purposes).

Specs are decent. Not too good for an Android device, but better than any multimedia or messaging device (which is what users of this device would intend to use it for).

My opinion on it is that it is in between a smartphone and dumbphone. The UI/features/customization is better than any dumbphone out there but not quite up to par with other smartphones. I think it is the perfect phone for somebody between the ages of 16-21. For that age group, messaging, social networking and multimedia is very important.

Upvote 0
I think the backflip is a great phone.

It is not a great android phone. :/

With that said.

I am beginning to doubt event he aero will come out.

I won't be surprised if at&t get nexus one..

however, I can't say I expect that to end well, if at&t bloats it with crap I wonder how hard it would be to root and install unlocked version of the os?

Upvote 0
Fixed and agreed.

Ynomrah how's that Android 1.5 and old hardware that about matches my two year old fuze working out for you?

Not all smart phones need to be high end. The Backflip actually functions quite well, runs plenty of apps and is actually quite responsive. The only thing it won't do well is play 3D games. At that point you're looking for a gaming device not a smart phone(iPhone?).

There's a lot of trash talking on the Backflip, but I think those people have just read about it and not actually used it.

Upvote 0
I think the main issue so many have (Myself included) is that this is AT&T's "flagship" android device. The one they were actually able to get out there and only one we've had available for months.

Then AT&T comes along and announces the Aero which looks to be ANOTHER toy device or niche device just to fit the smartphone for dummies area that seems to be AT&T's specialty (insert iphone)

So while they made noise of entering the android market and said 5 phones by June (now August or beyond?) some of us who actually prefer the high end phone have been waiting for a long time for AT&T to get its head out of Steve Jobs rear...and they havent done it yet and officially have no plans to. Unofficially we hope for the Galaxy S or the Streak or the mysterious HTC phone, but we've already been fooled by reports of Lancaster, legend, desire etc etc etc. All falling through.

And so we give the backflip the term backflop not because its a horrible phone, but because it represents a failure on AT&Ts part to supply phones that are desired by their customer base, but which we will not have access to in the foreseeable future.

/rant

Upvote 0
I think the main issue so many have (Myself included) is that this is AT&T's "flagship" android device. The one they were actually able to get out there and only one we've had available for months.

Then AT&T comes along and announces the Aero which looks to be ANOTHER toy device or niche device just to fit the smartphone for dummies area that seems to be AT&T's specialty (insert iphone)

So while they made noise of entering the android market and said 5 phones by June (now August or beyond?) some of us who actually prefer the high end phone have been waiting for a long time for AT&T to get its head out of Steve Jobs rear...and they havent done it yet and officially have no plans to. Unofficially we hope for the Galaxy S or the Streak or the mysterious HTC phone, but we've already been fooled by reports of Lancaster, legend, desire etc etc etc. All falling through.

And so we give the backflip the term backflop not because its a horrible phone, but because it represents a failure on AT&Ts part to supply phones that are desired by their customer base, but which we will not have access to in the foreseeable future.

/rant

Hey... could be worse, AT&T could have skipped Android completely and worked with Microsoft to bring us the KIN! :D

Upvote 0

/rant

Absolutely understandable.

When we first released the backflip i had the very same thoughts initially. I thought it was a complete fail of a phone, and would not compete with the other android smartphones already on the market. In addition to that, i still believe that yes, at&t did not release this phone well. Especially with it being their first android device. However, after several tech demos, a more in-depth look at how the device handles, and comparing it to most other brand smartphones on the market (a key aspect being most requiring a 125 deductible through insurance, while the backflip at 50 dollars), it just felt like damn good deal. And i have no regrets.

Upvote 0
Absolutely understandable.

When we first released the backflip i had the very same thoughts initially. I thought it was a complete fail of a phone, and would not compete with the other android smartphones already on the market. In addition to that, i still believe that yes, at&t did not release this phone well. Especially with it being their first android device. However, after several tech demos, a more in-depth look at how the device handles, and comparing it to most other brand smartphones on the market (a key aspect being most requiring a 125 deductible through insurance, while the backflip at 50 dollars), it just felt like damn good deal. And i have no regrets.

Well said. I agree with this as well. I really don't think the Backflip gets a fair shake. People look at the specs and write it off as junk. I can understand why they'd think that from a specs stand point, but from a functionality stand point it's a great phone. I've seen some have issues with Blur, they can turn it off. If something isn't released soon(as in by the time my upgrade comes up) I'm going to just get a Backflip and disable Blur.

Upvote 0
My wife has a pantech impact and I think she's better off for it. The backflip just adds a layer of stuff she doesnt need. I feel the backflip is just that a mid-low level phone for those who dont really want the power of android, but want a nice layer of easy between the OS and their usage. I spent alot of time messing with the backflip to see if it would fit my wifes needs. In the end I was not impressed with motoblur, nor with the phone as a whole.

So after having her try them out the impact got our vote. and I can say I would never get the backflip nor recommened it to anyone. I understand your feeling of loyalty to your company. I have no such loyalty and if I had an easy way out I should've taken it at this point.

AT&Ts choice to lead with a phone that was old the moment it hit the floor wasnt a mistake it was either laziness or just plain not caring about the platform which to this point seems entirely within the companies philosophy. I fear that when they finally do get some high end phones they are going to cripple them horribly. Forcing only signed market apps, not allowing apk installation, forcing AT&T bloatware and not allowing basic services such as google maps to compete with their own nav service. I can only hope that we will be able to root these phones quickly to get past AT&T junk.

Perhaps they just dont like the idea of a phone having a faster processor than the ageing iphone so they delay as long as possible so a Iphone4 announcement will stem the flow of people away apple.

Upvote 0
I suppose the difference between our wives is that mine is more of a power user than yours. My wife seems to enjoy the flexibility the Backflip offers over a standard feature phone. And yes, the Backflip offers a LOT more flexibility despite AT&T's imposed limitations.

However, I would never tell anyone to not get a phone for any reason unless the phone has a terrible track record of hardware/software failures, which the Backflip doesn't. Each person has their preferences towards certain things and the Backflip functions perfectly for many people. Deterring people from a phone that may fit them perfectly because it doesn't fit you is ignorance. Many people that have purchased Backflips absolutely love them and obviously some don't. We all have different needs/desires.

As for why there's a lack of Android devices on AT&T, well that's all speculation from anyone's view. It could be directly related to Apple, be it due to AT&T favoring Apple or other manufacturers fears of competing with Apple. Or it could just be that other carriers have made stronger bids for the phones than AT&T. Who knows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones