• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prefixer: Automatically add/delete digits from phone numbers

Johnny Cakes

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2009
This app watches the number that you, your contact list, or another app dials and, if it matches a user defined rule, will add / delete digits you define.

I use my cell phone for business. I don't want the people I call to know my cell phone telephone number because I want them to call back at the office, not my cell. So my cell is configured to block my Caller-ID for ALL outgoing calls.

Yet, I want to use apps like Slydial and SpoofCall. These apps "call home" and use the caller-id to login to the service. But my caller-ID is blocked and I can't change the number the apps call to add *82 to unblock caller ID since the "call home" number is hard-coded. So I have not been able to use these services.

Enter Prefixer. It automatically intercepts the outgoing call and add *82 to the number before the call is placed. Problem solved.

This app supports wild card character so, for example, if you wanted to block caller ID whenever you called a range of numbers (e.g. all 800 numbers, all phones at a certain business, etc) it would be no problem.

From the documentation, it appears that this app has great use in Europe to add country codes and the like, but there are plenty of uses here in the USA as well.

Rock solid programming as well -- never a force close. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

Really nice application and have just downloaded on my new HTC Desire. I have a question though:

I have created a rule to prefix 141 to hide my caller id for all outgoing calls. However, I do not want it to happen to every call I make. Yes, I know that I can put some wildcard entries, contact groups to filter the rule, but I'd rather prefer the application to prompt me whether I want to "apply the rule" - i.e. prefix the number or would want Prefixer to ignore the rule and dial the number normally so that my caller id is visible.

How can I achieve this please?

Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Really nice application and have just downloaded on my new HTC Desire. I have a question though:

I have created a rule to prefix 141 to hide my caller id for all outgoing calls. However, I do not want it to happen to every call I make. Yes, I know that I can put some wild card entries, contact groups to filter the rule, but I'd rather prefer the application to prompt me whether I want to "apply the rule" - i.e. prefix the number or would want Prefixer to ignore the rule and dial the number normally so that my caller id is visible.

How can I achieve this please?

Many thanks!

This is the workaround which I use -- it may or may not work with your carrier.

To easily "disable" Prefixer, I add a "1" before the number dialed. My carrier (Sprint in United States) ignores a leading "1" In the very old days in the US, a "1" signaled a "long distance" call. It is mostly superfluous now, but Sprint will accept it just because some people still use it.

So how does this apply to Prefixer? A rule such as "Add Caller-Id block to any 10 digit dialed number" (all numbers the USA are 10 digits) is not applied when a "1" is dialed first, since it is now an 11 digit number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones