• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Premium Navigation - free or paid for?

I was browing through this thread as part of my decision whether to continue the Locations license after my free trial period and hoped maybe someone knew the answers to a few questions I've been having.

Most important, is there any way to correct simple map errors on the device? On my TomTom (which has many other shortcomings which make the Locations option appealing) you can permanently update changes in traffic direction, etc. It's really important in the city where I live as there are major street works over the course of about 3 years, and every 3-6 months pretty well every street in the city is either closed, opened or the one way and turn restrictions are reversed. I can't find a way to report to HTC that the road they are directing you to drive down is a 200 foot drop and that in any case the next instruction asks you to go the wrong way up a one way street. Tomtom allows me to update these kinds of things on device, and accept updates from others.

The next major thing is when you buy a license are you buying only a license to use the software or do you buy map updates as part of that license? Say I bought a year's license and they put out a new UK map in June, do I get that new map too, or is that a separate purchase? I can't really tell, and a license to use software on a map which doesn't bear any relationship to the real roads out there on the ground is as useless as... well, my current TomTom!

Google navigation is not an option for me, I cannot begin to understand what they are saying. It is so bad that I found using the French voices was a huge improvement over the English ones, even though my native language is English. I tried some "trial versions" of various speech software but they don't allow you to trial unseen words, they just read out a set sentence. When I know what they are going to say I will understand it even if it wasn't comprehensible, so yet again I can't make a decision if it's right for me to invest my money. I'm quite deaf, incidentally, so voice quality is far more of a big deal, I have it connected by bluetooth to my hearing aids to hear anything. If speech is in my deaf frequencies then it's totally silent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones