1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Premium navigation not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MARKCARRI, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MARKCARRI

MARKCARRI Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Hi I have had my dhd for about 2 months now. i paid for the uk premium navigation and i think it worked once. everytime i punch in address or highlight an address from locations it goes to the map and after a few seconds of searching it gives up with the message "UNABLE TO FIND DESTINATION" - or something similar - can't get it to do it at the time of writing!! the gps is working - google navigation works fine. locations knows my position the the gps icon remaining fixed but when i choose premium navigation it starts to flash again - followed by the above fault box. i have switched off - taken battery out - cleared data out of locations launcher and locations apps. not sure what to do. can i uninstall location completeley or is that nothing to do with premium navigation?? if i go into the upgrade menue it says i have uk navigation and uk maps. dont want to uninstall uk navigation in case i have to pay twice!! any ideas. thanks mark

Advertisement

2. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    IT 'Anal'yst
    Leeds
    think you can re-install locations app by:

menu - settings - locations - reinstall

have the premium nav too, but good lord i hate the fact i cant search via postal codes!!! grrr....also having issues with the GPs finding sats...soooo annoying!!! arrrgh!

anyhoos, hope this helps

3. HTC foot

HTC foot Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I'd quite happily free some space up if i knew how to remove the darn thing. Premium is useless outside America. It won't search on postcodes - basic function of a satnav. It can't say the road names properly - Google nav has a darn good try most of the time and gets most right.

Can't see what's premium about it other than the cost!

4. handyandy

handyandy Newbie
    None

Jan 25, 2011

I now have the same problem with the Locations app, although it was working fine before.

I have reinstalled Locations and deleted and reloaded the relevant country map with Premium navigation. I have also used GPS Status to reset GPS and followed the suggestion re removing the SIM and resetting GPS which works fine. But Locations still displays the destination area map with a chequered flag showing the actual destination but then shows the message "Unable to calculate the route. Please check your destination".

This fault may have coincided with the upgrade to 2.2.1 or maybe I have upset a parameter somewhere but I can't for the life of me find where.

Thanks.

5. dcheech

dcheech Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Retired
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    I have had & resolved both issues referred to in this thread:

1. To keep premium navigation working, about once a week while wifi connected I press Locations - menu - Upgrade - menu - Sync license

2. I get GPS fix in 5 to 10 seconds outdoors & often indoors by doing the following (I suggest you write down your original settings so you can reset things when not using Sat Nav):

- menu - Settings - Location (switch GPS on & Wireless networks off)

- menu - Settings - Wireless & networks (switch Wi-fi & Mobile network off)

- menu - Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile networks - Access Point Names (make sure there is an entry with your network provider name & default,supl underneath it. Create a new entry if this doesn't exist. Highlight this entry)

- Start GPS Status (it's free from the Market) you should get a very quick GPS fix.

- Start Locations & Premium Navigation should work smoothly & with great accuracy now.

If this proves useful to others it would be great if a developer with the right skills could write a widget to do this!

Good Luck with it,

David

6. handyandy

handyandy Newbie
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks for the advice on obtaining a GPS fix but the original query was that Locations is not calculating a route even when the current location had been determined.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

7. dcheech

dcheech Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Retired
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Hi handyandy,

Item 1. in my last post is how I resolve exactly the problem you describe. I do this weekly To keep free of the problem.

David

8. colingraham

colingraham Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    This premium nav has ruined my holiday, leason learnt! ALWAYS use windows, then at least i can install tomtom. i am also afraid to say for my first time ever, i wished i had brought the iphone. how do i get a refund!:mad:

9. handyandy

handyandy Newbie
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks, David. But I did all the things you suggested, plus a factory reset, and Premium Navigation would still not work except on a recent trip where it started working part way through the trip and after a couple of days stopped again. Re-did all the stuff with no result.

I contacted HTC and got the following reply:

"With reference to your query, you may do below settings:home page>menu>settings>location>tick all the items on this page.

If the problem persists after doing above settings currently since the root of this issue is yet to be determined, hardware or software, and there are no specific settings on the device to solve the problem, would you mind resetting the device to exclude software conflict?

Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Make sure that any additionally installed programs and/or user data have been backed up before you perform a hard reset.

To perform Factory Data Reset: Home Screen>press Menu button>Settings>Sd card & phone storage>Factory data reset>reset Phone"

Hopefully, HTC will find a fix but I would be interested to hear from the OP on whether he has found a solution.

Thanks.