• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preparation for cupcake update.

snowx

Lurker
May 21, 2009
Hi folks,

What is need to be done before the OTA/rooted Cupcake update?
Anyone "has cupcaked" too fast and later realized that they should have done something before the update:eek:.
For instance, I believe all the SMS will be clean up after the update, so...

1) backup SMS with "SMS backup"
2) keep a list of all frequently used Apps.
3) write down the APN setting for my telco provider
feel free to add to the list... so that everyone can share to have a smooth upgrade experience...

:thinking: Really... What happened to your Apps? Do you have reinstall them? Is it the same for those Rooted cupcake update?

I did nothing in preperation and had no problems. The update will arrive overnight so best to have the phone on charge. My SMS threads were unaffected.

Edit: Some apps may not work until they are updated with 1.5 compatable versions.

Upvote 0
:thinking: Really... What happened to your Apps? Do you have reinstall them? Is it the same for those Rooted cupcake update?

Some applications were incompatible with the update due to changes in how certain aspects ofthe operating system can be accessed (for example, toggle settings-type applications would be a good example), if I'm not mistaken.

Most developers have updated their programs to get around those incompatibilities....however some haven't....

Upvote 0
I see... so unless u do a wipe (ALT W) everything is intact except that some APPs needed to upgrade to cupcake version. Is this also true for custom cupcake firmware update... anyone else to share?

Yep...

Not too sure on the custom cupcake...I think it's the same though...
Although with any customization..it's always a good idea to back up anyway...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones