1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Preparing for my G1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by carcon, Mar 3, 2009.

1. carcon

carcon Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Glasgow. UK
    Hi Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster :p

Finally the countdown for me is on...8 days and i get my contract upgrade :D

Decided a while back i was going for the G1...just been doing some reading up on it etc.

Anyway i have a couple of questions if you wouldnt mind answering them..

I got a hold of the manual and gave it a quick going over, it says that when you first boot up you have to set up a gmail account, would i be quicker making one just now and saving myself some time so i can just log in straight away? I doubt i'll ever use it, i already have 2 email addresses but im assuming its mandatory since its a google phone?

Also..what would be the suggested time to let it charge up before i start using it? Obviously charging it till the battery is full, but i think i read somewhere that a couple of days fully charging extends the battery life to its full potential...would this be correct?

I see one of the biggest complaints for this phone is the battery life and from what i've read i am considering maybe getting a bigger battery for it, or at least a spare as i will be using alot for the internet when im at work...its the only thing that keeps me sane most of the time! :p

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. smint

smint Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Mechanical Engineer
    Chesterfield, UK
    Would be a little quicker to make a google account now, google have been smart i think with this phone because i like you have other e-mail address's and didn't think i would move to google's but i have now moved everything important to my google account. so much easier with the notifications and everything.

If you want to use it for music and stuff i sugest getting a mini usb/ headphone adapter.

with regards to the first charge, i don't know how to answer, i charged untill it said it was at 100% and then unplugged it and have better charge then some others on this site so would say no need to leave it for days maybe overnight.
    A spare battery or larger one i thought was a good idea so i got a larger battery, i got a 2300mah one, makes the phone chunckier but i use it when i know i'll be away over night or very heavy use during the day. I rarely ever use it though, as the original can see me though most days,
    eg. yesterday
    left house 6:30 wifi/3g off - 1hr30mins of music ish, 1-2hour of internet - 2g(fast enough for normal browsing), 1hour games, 2-3 phone calls and plenty texts.
    got home 9:30 wifi on 1 hour internet
    after this i had just gone to amber battery and thats a fairly average day.

3. carcon

carcon Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Glasgow. UK
    Thanks for the reply.

My job does keep me out overnight a few times a week, thats why i was thinking of getting the bigger battery as i dont always have the option to charge it but i'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info about the email too, never thought about the notifications etc.

Cheers ;)

4. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009

Mine came with adapter. Bought it just before Christmas.

5. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    I agree - the latest G1s do come with the mini USB to 3.5mm headphone adapter. I had my GMail account for some time before the G1 but seldom used it. While waiting for my G1 to arrive, I entered all of my contacts from my old phone in GMail. It made the transition almost painless when my G1 arrived. Gmail is now my primary e-mail account and I forward my vanity e-mail address there.

The latest update has helped battery life somewhat. To combat that, it's a good idea to have a mini USB cable available on PCs you use frequently. I also have a car charger. Except for days with heavy use, my G1 lasts for the day and recharges at night.

Tags: