• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preparing for my G1

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster :p

Finally the countdown for me is on...8 days and i get my contract upgrade :D

Decided a while back i was going for the G1...just been doing some reading up on it etc.

Anyway i have a couple of questions if you wouldnt mind answering them..

I got a hold of the manual and gave it a quick going over, it says that when you first boot up you have to set up a gmail account, would i be quicker making one just now and saving myself some time so i can just log in straight away? I doubt i'll ever use it, i already have 2 email addresses but im assuming its mandatory since its a google phone?

Also..what would be the suggested time to let it charge up before i start using it? Obviously charging it till the battery is full, but i think i read somewhere that a couple of days fully charging extends the battery life to its full potential...would this be correct?

I see one of the biggest complaints for this phone is the battery life and from what i've read i am considering maybe getting a bigger battery for it, or at least a spare as i will be using alot for the internet when im at work...its the only thing that keeps me sane most of the time! :p

Thanks.

Would be a little quicker to make a google account now, google have been smart i think with this phone because i like you have other e-mail address's and didn't think i would move to google's but i have now moved everything important to my google account. so much easier with the notifications and everything.

If you want to use it for music and stuff i sugest getting a mini usb/ headphone adapter.

with regards to the first charge, i don't know how to answer, i charged untill it said it was at 100% and then unplugged it and have better charge then some others on this site so would say no need to leave it for days maybe overnight.
A spare battery or larger one i thought was a good idea so i got a larger battery, i got a 2300mah one, makes the phone chunckier but i use it when i know i'll be away over night or very heavy use during the day. I rarely ever use it though, as the original can see me though most days,
eg. yesterday
left house 6:30 wifi/3g off - 1hr30mins of music ish, 1-2hour of internet - 2g(fast enough for normal browsing), 1hour games, 2-3 phone calls and plenty texts.
got home 9:30 wifi on 1 hour internet
after this i had just gone to amber battery and thats a fairly average day.

Upvote 0
I agree - the latest G1s do come with the mini USB to 3.5mm headphone adapter. I had my GMail account for some time before the G1 but seldom used it. While waiting for my G1 to arrive, I entered all of my contacts from my old phone in GMail. It made the transition almost painless when my G1 arrived. Gmail is now my primary e-mail account and I forward my vanity e-mail address there.

The latest update has helped battery life somewhat. To combat that, it's a good idea to have a mini USB cable available on PCs you use frequently. I also have a car charger. Except for days with heavy use, my G1 lasts for the day and recharges at night.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones