1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

"Preparing SanDisk SD card, checking for errors." Cannot access SD card on phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ThorHammerSmash, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ThorHammerSmash

None

Sep 27, 2017
    Hi, I cannot access the content stored on my SD card (SD card 1) or add new files to it when it is in my Moto G (3rd gen) phone. What is strange is that I can access the content when the SD card is connected to my laptop, which suggests the SD card is fine...but then I tried another SD card (SD card 2) in my phone and the phone had no problem accessing it. You see my confusion? The problem seems to be a compatibility issue between the phone and SD card 1.

Any guidance would be gratefully received, as I am a complete novice in such matters!

Update: my phone says the SD card 1 is 'corrupted'.

Advertisement

#1 ThorHammerSmash, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It sounds like that first microSD card might not be formatted incorrectly to be compatible with your phone. Cards can formatted with different file systems, your phone expects the card to be FAT32 or exFAT. Depending on what kind of laptop you have, it could be formatted as NTFS or HFS+. Be sure to copy everything off the card to your computer, then reformat it in your Moto G and see if that makes any difference. If it works out, don't forget to unmount it, put it back in you laptop and copy your files back.

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen)

The third generation Moto G was announced in India in July of 2015 (it became available for purchase that same day). The Moto G 3rd Gen features a 5.0-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 410 processor, 16GB storage, 2GB RAM, 13MP rear/5 MP front facing cameras, 2,470 mAh battery, and is IPX7 certified against water/dust.