• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preparing to root (first time) using Z4Root

Ok I walked her through the full root process and she is now rooted and running AOSP 9.9.2 ;), I gave her that Rom as it is very stable and wanted her to have some play time with her rooted phone before moving her over to GB. everything went on without a glitch, the only thing I got a brain fart from was I had asked her to wipe her partions in CWM recovery and for some reason she did not have the options to wipe the boot, system, data, cache in the partition menu, was that something taken out of the new CWM recent update?? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Just getting ready to root my htc Hero for the first time - using z4Root - just setting up this thread in case I run into trouble. Will report back shortly.

HELLO FROM NEWLY ROOTED HERO USER!!!! :) Firstly THANKS DONB, you rock - could NOT have done it without your step by step guidance. It was more complicated than I thought it would be, so thank you for your patience as always. Next time I see you at Costco I will buy you a hotdog.

Question - now i cannot assign personal ringtones to individual contacts. I used to be able to go into the music player, and assign a particular song to a particular person - now it will only let me assign one ringtone for everyone. Anyone got any ideas?

Upvote 0
On my newly rooted phone, I'm trying to change the lockscreen wallpaper. Before I rooted, I had a photo from my phone on the lockscreen - now I just have SPRINT, the lock button (which i have to swipe to the right to open) and an icon for sound. Would so like to be able to edit it and can't seem to find the option.

Upvote 0
That is probably what is was, when I explained it to her she could not find it, I forgot that she might have the latest version.

If she has ClockworkMod Recovery version 3.0.0.5 then it is under a different name than it used to be. It is under Mounts and Storage now instead of Partitions, I believe.

If she is using an older version it should be where it always was, which was the Partitions menu. That is all I can think of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones