1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

President Donald Trump...

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by rootabaga, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Only to let something more sinister in?

Advertisement

shalemail, PattiCakeUS and LV426 like this.
  2. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit
    Recognized Developer
    None

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    How do you know you just didn't put a bigger rat in there?

Change is fine, but not change for the worse.

shalemail and notacoach like this.
  3. cooldood

cooldood Newbie
    None

Oct 9, 2016
    Male
    True but who knows the future?
    I think 2 days into it is a bit premature to start making judgements.
    I won't defend him and his personality all I am saying is our system is virtually broken and perhaps someone from the outside can help fix it. I am hoping that it is change for the better isn't that all I can do?

PS Obama was the vote for "change" instead we got 8 years of complete shite. He couldn't get anything done so he used executive order for everything.
    We need to be a country of laws not men. And when the president uses exec. order to break the law we take a step backward. BTW what was his qualifications? I think one term senator but before that he ran a community center?

bcrichster and Member243850 like this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Has nobody else realized that the US already has a wall on the Mexican border?

The only differences between the wall currently there to the current technology for walls around far forward US military bases is that you can see through the Mexican wall and it's longer. The border wall is more like a fence, the military walls see more like fences with fabric liners filled with dirt.

5. LV426

Recognized Developer
    None

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    I'm judging him by what he's said during his campaign. Was that all lies?

To me it's beyond belief how Americans could vote for this person, after everything he's said and done. And by the way, what happened to those women who came forward with allegations about sexual harassment? Were they ignored? What kind of message does that send out to women in this position, and what impact does that have on their confidence in the system to take them seriously?
    Did you hear the audio tape of Trump bragging about how he treats women? If true that is deplorable and he should be investigated. If false, then what does that say about his personality and character? Can you imagine Obama talking like that?
    His incitement to violence at rallies, why is that not regarded as a crime? His insults thrown at other candidates.

To be honest, I've never seen anything like this before in my life, from politicians in a civilised western society. It's like we just took a step back into a more evil time.

Nobody batted an eyelid, and you just validated his behaviour by giving him the highest office in the land, if not the world.

Unbelievable!

6. Clementine_3

VIP Member

I do agree, I am just pretty darn sure he's not the one to fix it. I'm also pretty darn sure he's not the guy we need as our national figurehead or the guy to pull us all together. Bigots tend to not be good at uniting different races and religions. It's going to be long 4 years, hopefully we wake up and don't make the same (probable) mistake again.

#31 Clementine_3, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    shalemail and PattiCakeUS like this.
  7. LV426

Recognized Developer
    None

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    I blame the Democratic party for absolutely selecting the wrong candidate. They completely failed to judge the national feeling towards Clinton, failed to realise that people wanted change, something different. And this is the fatal flaw in the selection process - because she was obviously loved by her own party, but that didn't extend to the wider population.

bcrichster and Harley Davidson like this.
  8. Harley Davidson

None

Nov 10, 2016
    Trump will do fine. He better. He said he is a Republican, he has a Republican congress and senate and has an agenda that should (a) put money in our pockets [lower taxes, more jobs for legal uhmaricans, less business legaleze to operate], (b) kick ass on crime, (c) fire stupid people in government [he's good at that]... but he needs good helpers. Juliani is one of them. His campaign manager for Chief of Staff at the White House. Crossing my fingers on all the others. Hope he puts Trey Gowdy in for something.

toptobottom likes this.
  9. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    President Trump cannot do it by himself. That's not how America works that's how a totalitarian state works. President Trump has campaigned against that. He has to include the opposition party.

@LV426 it was an amazingly close election believe it or not. Our presidential elections are usually won by a much larger margin. Only 5 out of 43 US Presidents did not win the popular vote.

#34 dontpanicbobby, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    bcrichster likes this.
  10. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    and I feel that if he manages to complete his list of the first 100 days, he will go a long way to flushing out the rats.

bcrichster and toptobottom like this.
  11. Member243850

Member243850 Guest
    None
    Well you know who I think should run (literaly! :D) for President? :)

Man's best friend!

shalemail, PattiCakeUS and dwitm01 like this.
  12. vosg

vosg Android Expert
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    Sanders would have won...

13. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Male
    Pilot
    Concord NH
    If either side fielded a candidate that wasn't a complete dumpster fire, they would have won. Biden or Sanders would have beaten Trump easily, Cruz or Rubio would have easily beaten Hillary. But we got Trump, and now its time to give him a chance. Protesting and calling for his impeachment before he has even taken the oath of office is just ********, and not good for the country.

dontpanicbobby and Member243850 like this.
  14. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Male
    Pilot
    Concord NH
    And the fact that re **** ed is censored is just pathetic. That is what people are sick of in this country. Trigger words, safe spaces, etc etc etc.

15. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    My Siamese cat. She's good at paperwork.

Seriously, if you didn't like a candidate you could write in. From a news report, Kasich of Ohio wrote in John McCain. He stood by his conviction of not liking Trump.

What bothers me is science. We only have one earth to live on. He's already thinking of a climate skeptic for the EPA:

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot...ks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition

I for one don't want to breathe the particulates if the clean air act re scrubbers is revoked.

bcrichster and shalemail like this.
  16. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    You have your own ginger. Why did you vote for Brexit?

Some of your populace is just as scared as ours as their way of life is changing. They want to go back to the fifties.

bcrichster likes this.
  17. LV426

Recognized Developer
    None

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    I didn't, but there were more total idiots/bigots/racists who believed the lies, without question.

And on the subject of climate change, I think we're on course to destroy the planet regardless of what Mr Trump does, or doesn't do. Unless some nice asteroid happens to put us all out of our misery first. :eek:

psionandy and SiempreTuna like this.
  18. Member243850

Member243850 Guest
    None
    I think it's scary how only 2 turds get chosen... and that only 2 turds get so much publicity... there must be tons of choices but what is scary is how only 2 giant turds get so much attention... why is their system so crooked?

They are both just total and utter scum those republicans and democrats.

All politicians are scum to me that's why I feel I could never be one even if I tried... I would eventually have them all executed for being a bunch of arrogant scum so I wouldn't get too far in office and then they would throw me in jail :D

Attached Files:

19. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

Aug 11, 2014
    More or less IT, lots of hand-holding
    Crazyville, CA
    The irony in the 2016 US election is that almost anyone except Clinton could have beaten Trump...
    and almost anyone except Trump could have beaten Clinton.

Our moronic two-party primary system is what resulted in these goobers being our choice, and the EC is what continues to support the two-party system. Well, that and billions of dollars that support each of the major parties and their candidates.

20. rootabaga

Aug 11, 2014
    Crazyville, CA
  21. Member243850

Member243850 Guest
    None
    Hmm very intetesting!

Whats very scary is we are not talking about some tin pot crack head insane lunatic country.... We are talking about AMERICA here... You know... The same people that put man on the MOON... Not your average bunch at all.... But you yanks seem to have a reakly ****ed up political system and I mean WE are nit even that bad... SA is starting to look better than America after our previous election and if a person in SA is looking at America sideways.....then thats a very very bad sign...

If a semi third worlder (though not for much longer from the change happening here :D )is looking at the states a bit sideways thats not too good...

I am glad I halted on immigrating and believed SA was going to change because we are on a great road now :)

In the USA i wouldnt want to pay tons of tax to help build a new bomber to help fund globo cop...

Editef for better video sorry was doing this fron my phone :D

#46 Member243850, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  22. rootabaga

Aug 11, 2014
    Crazyville, CA
    Well, you have to remember that presidents in the US, while having lots of power, are still very limited in what they can do by themselves. That's designed purposefully in our system of government. It's one of the things that bugged me about the MSM going out and finding people (some in government, some not) yammering about "we can't let him have the nuclear codes" and "he'll take away women's rights, like abortion" etc. All nonsense. Including many of his campaign promises, like the infamous wall. And he's already backing away from some of the stuff he spewed on the campaign trail, which is pretty typical.

The latest scare tactic from the MSM is how he'll be able to get lots done since the GOP has a majority in congress. I've talked about this before, but basically the issue there is one, he's an outsider, and two, he pi$$ed off most of congress during the long campaign. While some of his ideas align more with the conservatives, it's not like it's a good-old-boy network that will run roughshod on the country.

The two things that really have me the most surprised is how many people seem to be in a deep state of depression about it, almost like someone ran over their cat while speeding away from setting their house on fire while their kids were home. (An extreme example: one of my nieces has said she doesn't feel like coming to Thanksgiving dinner because "there's nothing for which to be thankful" which got lots of likes, etc. on social media.) The second thing is how many of the protests against the election have turned violent. Had Clinton won, I don't think there'd be any meaningful protests from the right, and likely they would be peaceful. What bothers me the most is that it's almost as though the protesters believe he should not be allowed to take office. That goes against our very democracy, which is rather scary.

Member243850 likes this.
  23. notacoach

notacoach Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 12, 2012
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't question the result (even if it is a messed up system), and do not support violence. That said, I think a lot of people are sad or protesting because they are afraid. I certainly am deeply concerned about the future. Why?

- I'm afraid that what little health insurance coverage I have is going to be taken away or taken back to pre-ACA restrictions and even HIGHER costs. (fwiw, my husband and i are freelance and make just slightly too much to qualify for ACA tax credits. Our insurance premiums are approximately $13k a year for a family of three PLUS a $5k per person deductible. And that is an IMPROVEMENT over what we had before Obamacare; at least we now have routine included visits, and nobody can reject us for pre-existing conditions.)

- I'm afraid that my ill and elderly parents' Medicare is going to be affected (Paul Ryan's plans basically trash what's there)

- I'm afraid for my friends of ethnicities which are being targeted by racists and xenophobics who were inspired, validated, and fuelled by Trump's aggressive rhetoric.

- I'm afraid for my daughter, since her reproductive rights are likely to be heavily impacted by decisions made by this administration.

- I'm afraid because the country's descent into "me first" is going deeper and deeper.

- I'm angry because the GOP-held Congress of the last 6 years stonewalled so many attempts to GIVE "man in the street" more jobs and more opportunities, simply because they hated Obama. Let's not forget that Mitch McConnell openly stated he would do anything to ensure that Obama failed.

- I'm angry that Congress has refused to DO THE JOB WE PAY THEM TO DO and has openly and insultingly blocked SCJ discussions following the death of Scalia. That judge is this administration's to appoint, and there is NO reason to block it other than political silly-buggers. For a party that treats the constitution like gospel, the GOP has been pretty quick to break its rules when it suits them....

- I'm angry because the religious right has been given far too much power - this is a country of MANY religions, and imposing Christian values on all, by whatever means, however insidious - is offensive as well as unconstitutional.

- I'm angry because Trump has OPENLY shown his hand as an intolerant, xenophobic racist. That's bad enough, even though he's now backpedalling furiously; while relieved that some things I value may not be as badly affected as suggested, it diminishes my opinion of him even further as he demonstrates the worst case of campaign lies since the Brexiteers NHS bus banners. What makes that kind of duplicity OK in any decent society?!?

I agree it's time for political change, but not to this. This is not a change of administration, but a change of society, and not one I particularly care to be part of.

I remain interested to see how people feel about Trump's grandiose promises two years from now when things that we need are diminished, crime escalates as those already struggling face even deeper poverty, the rich sit back laughing as they put more in their pockets, and the rest of the world has thrown us overboard as the pseudo-nationalistic, intolerant, myopic fools we have shown ourselves to be. I'd dearly love to be proven wrong on this, but right now it's looking pretty bleak.

PS I'm not registered with either party, and had no allegiance to any particular candidate.

PPS I don't share your confidence that a unified Congress won't push a lot of legislation through; there are no checks or balances at the moment,which is the problem.

(edits for typos)

#48 notacoach, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  24. Clementine_3

VIP Member

^^^^ [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

shalemail and notacoach like this.
  25. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Democrat, voted straight Democratic ticket. In shock about the protests. What's the point of that display?