1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Pressed volume and power button. What is it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edcooper714, Jan 4, 2012.

1. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    I woke up this morning with my phone off. I accidentally hit the volume and power button at the same time and a screen instantly came on and said downloading....do not turn off target. It stayed that way frozen for 5 hours until the VZW tech told me to take out the battery and restart the phone. It then rebooted normally.
    Just for ducks I turned the phone off and did the same thing. Hit the volume button(not sure if up or down) and a different strange screen came on and froze the phone.
    What the heck's this all about?
    Anybody know.
    It didn't hurt anything. Phone is fine.
    Bringing this up in case anyone runs into this and is surprised.

Advertisement

2. Lohung

Lohung Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    well i know if you hit the power button, volume up and down at the same time it brings you into fast boot mode and you have like the android guy laying on the ground with his front opened like it is a pannel. thats more for advanced users and where you can go to restore/unlock/root your phone..

edcooper714 likes this.
  3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Yes, if you get the screen with the green android laying down, belly opened up like an access panel.... that's "recovery mode". This would be where you would go should your phone get "disabled" and you needed to completely wipe and restart from scratch. If you get into that mode you should be able to use the volume buttons to scroll a list of options...."reboot phone now" will just restart your phone. Don't play with any other options unless you know what you are doing.

4. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Missouri
    The first one you described was Odin mode and is accessed by holding volume down while powering on the phone. It is used with Odin software to flash software to the device. Unless you know how to use Odin its of no use to us.

The second one, like everyone else said, was most likely the boot loader which is accessed by holding both volume buttons while powering on the device. It is used for flashing files and unlocking the boot loader via fast boot. Again, unless you want to root your device it will serge non purpose to you.

There's probably at least 15 "Help me!" threads here from people who accidentally activated Odin mode. LOL. I'm just glad someone else did it and posted about it before I did it, because I would have freaked out too otherwise.

edcooper714 likes this.
  5. Lohung

Lohung Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i love your Signature Mr.ORange

/friended

6. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Missouri
    I love yours as well. I was thinking earlier how beautiful and encouraging it was.

Tags: