• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
There are no magnets in the Bionic. It detects the actual docks using the USB.

I have the 29.99 webtop adapter and there are definitely no magnets in it. All it had is a USB and HDMI plug that go into the phone with pass through plugs on the other side. It's using the USB port to detect the adapter and then enable to webtop option. Would be nice if there was a way to get to it without paying $30.

Upvote 0
There are no magnets in the Bionic. It detects the actual docks using the USB.

I have the 29.99 webtop adapter and there are definitely no magnets in it. All it had is a USB and HDMI plug that go into the phone with pass through plugs on the other side. It's using the USB port to detect the adapter and then enable to webtop option. Would be nice if there was a way to get to it without paying $30.

Yep your right I just tore into the dock. I did confirm that you can plug in the usb and hdmi and it will bring up the weptop app... I also noticed that the standard dock has spots for the hdmi pass thru...I just need to find a 90 deg. micro hdmi adapter...ha. O'well, I am just one of those people that needs to know how things work.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
Yep your right I just tore into the dock. I did confirm that you can plug in the usb and hdmi and it will bring up the weptop app... I also noticed that the standard dock has spots for the hdmi pass thru...I just need to find a 90 deg. micro hdmi adapter...ha. O'well, I am just one of those people that needs to know how things work.

Are you saying that you managed to get the webtop app to appear with just standard USB and HDMI cables?

Upvote 0

Nice! That means we can, for a few buck, alter our regular docks and make them into homemade HDMI docks! Sweet!

Even better - make it so that you can fold down the HDMI plug (fold it out of the way, swivel it out of the way, etc) so it can be used as both simultaneously.

A very good opportunity to make some devices and some profit....

I hereby claim this idea as mine! lol

I suppose the best way to accomplish this would be to find a mini HDMI plug that actually swivels, eh? - Or else, make one of your own....

Are you saying that you managed to get the webtop app to appear with just standard USB and HDMI cables?

Yup - look at the OP - that is exactly what the guy with the Lexus did. Just adding the HDMI out cable connected to an HDMI in device and the phone recognized it and gave the option of which dock to open. Look at the original link from DL here My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix) and look at the 4th picture down in the right hand column....

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
Nice! That means we can, for a few buck, alter our regular docks and make them into homemade HDMI docks! Sweet!

Even better - make it so that you can fold down the HDMI plug (fold it out of the way, swivel it out of the way, etc) so it can be used as both simultaneously.

A very good opportunity to make some devices and some profit....

I hereby claim this idea as mine! lol

You better patent it because I'm gonna steal that idea too! haha. Don't make me go "Apple" on you. :p

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones