1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Prevent App from Working Unless on Wifi?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lexluthor, May 2, 2012.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Is any application/procedure I could use to prevent certain apps from working unless on wifi?

On one of my phones, I just have a 200MB data plan. I think it will suffice as long as no streaming audio/video programs or market downloads are used.

Is there an app that can prevent select programs from opening unless wifi is connected at the time?

If there's not a simple app that does that, any way to do that in tasker maybe?

EDIT: Will droidwall do exactly this? It is a rooted phone that I need this on.

Advertisement

2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Hi Lex, you may want to try Onavo.

I am currently using it and it seems like a really good app. It tracks how much data you use a and how much data you have left. It shows how many kb/mb an app uses data, allows wifi only data use for certain apps.

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I actually have Onavo installed now. In some quick testing, it didn't seem to block youtube. Perhaps I have to block some other app/system process that youtube actually uses to get the stream from.

Either way, I think droidwall is even better and is exactly what I'm looking for.

I may still keep onavo (or similar, I think there was one I liked better that didn't have the blocking option, which I wouldn't need anymore) to notify/shut off 3G if I get close to the limit.

4. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Droid wall does do this. Avast mobile security also has a firewall and a lot of other great features too.