• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prevent Chrome from invoking Play Store

user_2014

Oct 26, 2014
I have an old Android 5.1 tablet. When I start Chrome browser, on the top right hand corner, instead of the 3 dots, it will show a small icon which says new update available. In order to see my history, I have no choice but to tap on the icon which override the 3 dots. This invoked Play Store asking me to install the update which will fail because 5.1 is not supported. I then have to go back to Chrome and tab on the 3 dots to see the history. I have already turned off auto update. But no help. I understand that Chrome is doing the right thing telling me about the update. But it is quite annoying that I have to go through this every time. I was wondering if there is anyway to prevent Chrome from invoking Play Store when I clicked on the icon ? or prevent the update available icon to override the 3 dots ?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones