1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support prevent google from storing past searches as cookies in firefox mobile?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Special K, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Special K

Special K Member
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    I want to delete all of my past google searches that come up whenever I start typing something into the search box on google.com. I followed all of the instructions here:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/465?hl=en

and deleted results from "all time". All of the past search results were gone when I went to google.com from my desktop.

On my phone, there are still lots of search results when I visit google.com from firefox. There is a link that says "clear history", but it only clears the 3 results that show up at that moment. If I delete those, the next 3 past results appear. There doesn't appear to be any way to delete all of the results, although a popup box appears that says:

"click ok to clear the following searches from history"

and

"go to preferences for more options"

Unfortunately there is no "preferences". If I click on "settings" at the bottom of the page, it takes me to the page I linked to at the top of my post. Following the instructions to delete results from "all time" doesn't delete these results.

If I access google.com from the built-in browser (galaxy S3 here) instead of firefox, there is a list of search results that is totally different from the list shown in firefox. It's as if google is storing broswer-specific search history independent of the master search history associated with my google account.

I can clear this search history by clearing all cookies, but then any new searches I make are automatically saved, even though I have my google privacy settings set to not store search history.

Does anyone know how to turn this off? I did a search and found some other results, but it looks like google has changed their website since then, as the options mentioned don't exist:

http://androidforums.com/threads/remove-google-search-history.435153/

I can't be the only one with this problem.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have found that if I am logged into Google, it remembers what I have searched 'out in the cloud' and not just from the device I am using.

I notice this most frequently on Google searches and Google Maps

3. Special K

Special K Member
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    I found the solution:

1. Go to www.google.com from a mobile browser and sign out of all accounts
    2. Click on the "Settings" link at the bottom
    3. Click the "Do not save searches" radio button on the "Search settings" page - note that this option is NOT available when you are signed in to your account, but will have whatever value you last set it to when not signed in (or "save searches" by default). This is what was causing all of my problems.
    4. Click "Save"

You will need to repeat steps 1-4 for each browser you want to have this change.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    In Firefox, tap the Menu button in the bottom left to get the contextual menu and select 'Settings'. Then tap on the 'Privacy' menu, and tap the checkbox next to the 'Clear private data on exit' option. Note that if you just use your phone's Home key to close out an open Firefox window this won't apply, you do need to use Firefox's 'Quit' so it flushes out that session's cookies and open tabs.