• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prevent phone from charging when connected to PC?

JoeHPSDA

May 15, 2012
I use my phone as a wifi modem via USB as the wifi on my laptop died.

Is there a way to stop the laptop charging the phone when connected via USB?

I ask as I would like to do all I can to prolong the life of the laptop and I figure by turning off charging I could save some power?

I'm using a Moto G on Android 4.4.2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

In my Zenbook there are options (a software provided by Asus) to let or not the usb charging even when the laptop is off and you can even set a limit for the battery (below it it doesnt charge usb-devices). This software is provided by the manufacturer. I havent seen any other way to controll usb-charging. If you dont have any software, have you checked bios? Which laptop have you? The possibility to change these settings is in the motherboard and some manufacturer provide it, some not and sometimes is not even possible. I would ask it from the manufacturer because it is related to the motherboard.

Upvote 0
Follow this tutorial EXCEPT only clip the red wire. The black wire is needed for the ground.

Charge Only MicroUSB Cable

With a razor knife and a bit of skill and handy work you should be able to peel back the insulation of a sacrificial cable without damaging any of the wires, take out a small section of the red wire, then use a few wraps of electrical tape to button it back up.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones