• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

prevent pocket pushes, not just calling

Rob Henerey

Sep 10, 2015
So often when I take out my phone from a pocket, the camera is on, email, messaging, various other apps where I have home screen+ icons that got accidentally pushed in my pocket. Generally I'm not on wifi when the phone's in my pocket, so apps use mobile data I didn't intend, plus they have to be Quit.

I know I could just hide the icons back into the system, but then they're submerged into my collection of mostly rarely used apps.

I've looked through the Settings for something to prevent this, any suggestions? Or does anyone know of an app that would make all icon pushes require a LONG push, or maybe a double push, and only bring up a Menu including Uninstall etc with an even longer push? Or something I'm not even imagining?

That was my first thought: flip case, problem solved.

But I've never suffered this when using open-fronted cases either. Obviously there are (or were) features and options that make accidental unlocks and app launches more likely: tap-to-wake features, lock-screens that include shortcuts to launch apps, not using a screen lock or setting it to disable when e.g. it is connected to your wearable device. Conversely if you set the phone so it can't launch apps without unlocking and use a lockscreen PIN or require a fingerprint then the only way this can happen is if you put the phone in your pocket with the screen still turned on.

The specific things you request, no, never heard of anything like that (and for pocket-activation I'm not convinced that requiring a long push would stop it, though it would reduce). There are apps you can use to PIN lock specific apps, but that would add a lot of inconvenience to general use, so personally something to stop the screen being unlocked in your pocket (or, if your phone has such things, stopping apps from being launched without unlocking) is probably the simplest solution.

Upvote 0
Next time go for a taller than wide screen.
@Rob Henerey
Fits in your hand and pants better.
  1. You do not need a chin.

95% of my phone usage is as an e-book reader, either in bed or in waiting room mode, so wider is better. Just enough need for calls, texts, email and mapping that I need a phone with me. Not carrying a phone and a reader/tablet. I used to have a chin but it's gone into hiding.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones