• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

prevent process startup after reboot

runLoganrun

Nov 28, 2009
possible to prevent processes from starting on reboot/boot for Droid 2.1?

there's a few processes that are always running, that turn themselves on, which i infrequently use. a couple examples are Voice Search and Skype, which when I ended processes for, freed up a significant amount of memory and 4 processes. I'd like to be able to set them up something akin to what windows will do, where they are on manual startup, and only start when app is called on. I still want to use the apps, just don't want background processes running constantly.

thanks,
rlr

well, with something like Startup Auditor you seem to be able to stop the apps from "startup" but you will not be able to stop them - or other random apps - that startup on their own later and after startup and end up running anyway.

if you read the Task Killer threads, you will see some app just get auto started by the system as the system "think" you "might" need the app based on some other tasks your doing, so loads them up. annoying as hell which is why I love my ATK. but point is, you might stop them at startup, but cannot stop them later from starting up anyway since the system is designed to do this preemptive thinking for you.

Upvote 0
well, with something like Startup Auditor you seem to be able to stop the apps from "startup" but you will not be able to stop them - or other random apps - that startup on their own later and after startup and end up running anyway.

if you read the Task Killer threads, you will see some app just get auto started by the system as the system "think" you "might" need the app based on some other tasks your doing, so loads them up. annoying as hell which is why I love my ATK. but point is, you might stop them at startup, but cannot stop them later from starting up anyway since the system is designed to do this preemptive thinking for you.

gasps,you mentioed atk! lol. Well I dont pay much attention to that but I will have to look into tis now, you've peaked my curiosity i just figured the phone wouldnt have anything run.

Upvote 0
I also use Startup Auditor, and it does prevent apps from starting, and you'll also have the option to have SA close them if they open. I have found that, in some cases, it'll supress apps you may want to use and only block their startup.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I just installed Startup Auditor and it appears to be blocking the programs I selected as Disabled such as Skype, CityID, Amazon MP3 and Backup Assistant. Now if I can only get it to block Blockbuster, Social Networking and You Tube, I would be extremely happy.

I really wish we could actually uninstall all of these programs as they are not part of the OS itself, but are installed with the OS Image and have many names for them. Bloatware for one.

You would think that with the higher courts ruling on Jailbreaking that these Cell Phone companies that want you to keep your phone un rooted, they would give you the option of removing the programs you do not want to use.

It is what it is though, and we have the options of either keeping un rooted and living with the annoying bloatware that are put on the phones, or using another application to stop these from starting, or rooting all together

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, Rooting is not all it's cracked up to be either.

For almost 1 year the answer to every question about unwanted apps and almost everything else, was to Root.

Well I rooted and the problems still exist. Some programs you can totally remove - Amazon mp3 or the annoying Childrens apps like Facebook or twitter etc.

But what about programs You might actually use once in a while or programs you have installed? Obviously you can't delete these and No startup program I have tried will kill them

Here is a list of some of the several I have set NOT to start, but Start and restart anyway
Calender, Messaging, my uploads, Gallery, News and Weather, MSN Talk, Email. The list is much longer but You get the point

Also worth mentioning, None of these are set to auto update, monitor or check the web for anything.

Startup auditor has Two choices, Kill at startup and keep killing, Unfortunately, Neither work.

I have to manually (Force Close), at least several times a day kill these and other programs and processes by going into applications menu.

For some reason My task killer (Quick System info) which used to kill many of them before rooting, wont kill them now? Programs Like Music, Web Browser, MSN, Messaging all must be manually killed using Force Stop

Another thing Rooting Can't accomplish or at least I have yet to figure it out. Is to how to stop programs You have successfully stopped from Starting at startup, From auto starting later at random or when you use another program.
Ex. Anytime I turn on Wifi, Data, use the phone, check my email or browse the web. Programs like MSN TALK , gallery, My uploads etc. start on their own

For all thats been said and claimed about androids ability to manage memory and kill programs automatically, I must say I am not the least bit impressed, Nor do I believe 95% of it. I am using an ERIS with KaosFroyo which is just as slow or Laggy as the un-rooted Leak V3 i had for months before it.
To all those who claim you dont need a task killer or Don't need to manually Kill programs, I say your Full of It. My phone all but stops functioning If I don't Do it several times a day.

Upvote 0
but point is, you might stop them at startup, but cannot stop them later from starting up anyway since the system is designed to do this preemptive thinking for you.

This really fries my nuggets. If I wanted a `helpful' OS, I'd be using Mac or Win7.
Since rooting, I managed to get rid of annoying apps I never use, but can't stop the ones I do use from automatically popping up.

Thanks for being the first to say it.

Upvote 0
That is actually an interesting point you bring up. I guess I have spent so much time trying to stop useless programs like CityID, Skype, Amazon MP3, You Tube and all of the social networks from starting, I have not notices the others continuing to start. Example, today alone (and it was a good day for it) City ID popped up 17 times asking me to subscribe and not just after calls, but all of the time, and the program is not even anywhere close to being accurate. I think it is a crime that Verizon actually put this on their phones to begin with.

I guess what it boils down too is that nothing is perfect and we will need to live with some of the annoyances

Upvote 0
It's not so much "helpful OS" versus "non-helpful OS" as it is "PC OS" versus "mobile OS". Mobile usage is very different than that of a standard PC despite the habits/thinking that people try to carry over.

Ok, I'll bite.
What is helpful about an OS that lets programs auto-start at will, even after you kill them?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones