1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Prevent the Deactivation Of The Android Device Manager...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by kblanco, Mar 28, 2016.

1. kblanco

kblanco Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Is there some way to prevent the removal and/or deactivation of the Android Device Manager from Settings - Security? I'd like to be able to use it if my device is ever lost, but also if it is ever stolen. They say a savvy thief whom knows there stuff will quickly look to remove such features. I had Device Manager active using McAfee, but McAfee could never seem to find my phone even when it was on the desk next to me and I was running a test so I'm changing anti-virus protection. McAfee, Avast and 360 can't seem to find my phone but I could jsut as easily use the Device Manager but I'm afraid of a savvy thief uninstalling it...

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    if DATA is turned off and WiFi is off, nothing will find your phone.

I have never had any luck with any app finding my phone consistently.
    once in a great while, one of them could find it, but for the most part, all of them are a joke.
    And that includes Google's Android Device Manager....

I have MacroDroid set up to monitor SMS messages, and if it hears a SMS message with the phrase "whereareyou" it will turn on the GPS and report back to the sender with the lat/long and a link to Google Maps.

but, if the GPS can't see the sky, even that is no good.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

#2 AZgl1500, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Just lock the phone with encryption. I personally user Cerberus instead of the default Android Device Manager.

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    That link from Parayilhussain sums up what you should do pretty well.
    As far as all the various antivirus utilities you've been trying out, you should give some thought about just settling on just one and stick with it. Any AV utility has to integrate itself into the operating system to monitor things. Some do this well, a lot suck at it and simply create instability by interfering with basic background processes from functioning properly. Don't fall into the Windows mentality that an AV utility is an absolute must, it doesn't necessarily apply to Android. If you're having an actual problem than there's definitely a need for one, and being proactive is safer than reactive, but the best antivirus solution is the least intrusive one.

badcatz and Slug like this.
  6. kblanco

kblanco Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Male
    Cool, thanks everyone I'll look into that link although it references applying to 5.0 or later and my Android device runs 4.4.4. I've also settled on McAfee which I've been using for a long time. I don't know what it is, but McAfee wasn't able to find my device which prompted me to shop around the app store with regards to AV. I uninstalled it and then later came back to it and it seems to be able to find my device now. To boot, you have to have the PIN that you create to remove it - to remove it from the Device Manager and to just flat out remove it - which is to keep a thief from removing it to prevent it from being located. It someone tries to remove it from the Device Manager without the PIN it'll start screaming - literally, and I'm surprised it hasn't blown the speaker - to attract attention and won't shut up whatever you do... But I do appreciate all the responses...

badcatz likes this.